Getting a Applicators license in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmbhmg, Jan 2, 2002.

1. dmbhmg

dmbhmg LawnSite Member

I would like to find out where to go to get licensed to apply fertilizer in Minnesota. Right now I mow on the side (have a full-time job), and have a few lawn care accounts, but I've been asked it I can do fertilazing also, and have always had to say no.
    Also, I am looking at taking a class to help decide on the right mixtures, and help my knowledge of this topic in general. Any input would be great.

P.s. Do I need to disclose anything about applying fertilizer to my insurance carrier?

Thank You everyone......

2. Thegaler

Thegaler LawnSite Member

If you contact John Wagner at the Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture he's your best bet for materials and applications and such.

3. dmbhmg

dmbhmg LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information Thegaler, I'll do that.

Is there anyone else from Minnesota?.....

4. Thegaler

Thegaler LawnSite Member

Pretty much everyone that I've talked with points to this John Wagner guy. He's at the dept. of agriculture and I left him a voice mail and haven't heard back from him as of yet, but I will post here when I hear from him. Call there and leave him a message as well and if he get's back to you before me, just let me know.

5. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

You will need to obtain the study guides from the dept. of ag. You need the Catagory A & E. You can pick them up at the St. Paul campus. You will need insurance in place before you can take the tests. you can call the ag dept. at 651-296-8379. These guys NEVER RETURN YOUR CALLS in a timely manner. "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" NOT!!!!!
    Good Luck'
    Jeff

6. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

I just re-read you post, I forgot this..... If all you want is to apply fertilizer and no weed killer then all you need is a fertilizer permit. No test involved, just pay a fee. Last time I checked it was $175.00 a year. But remember, no killer of any kind, not even weed and feed. Try doing organic if you can sell it. Some very good Organics out there now.
    Jeff

7. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Is this still the case in MN for applying weed killer? I can't find any information about it online.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Per above, true dat. You can fling fert for a hefty fee of $150+ for a license. TOTAL RIPOFF imo.

I would not stop here though, you need to test for Cat A & E to apply pesticides to lawns. And then you need some big time experience to actually do it right.

9. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Just purchased my pesticide applicators license, bought 85$ worth of books from UMN.edu, now I have to study and go in and do the test before the pesticide applicators license is valid.

10. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Any recommendations on the Organics before I go out and google all about them? :)