Getting a bit discouraged

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fairwayCuts, Apr 4, 2005.

1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Well this will be my first full season in business and to be honest I was hoping for some better results. In the past 2 weeks I've gotten out about 2000 doorhangers. So far I've only had about 4 calls :cry: , 1 of which was just a spring clean up, and another was a quick mulch job. Out of the other 2, I've landed one and am still waiting to hear back from the other. Am I wrong to think I should have gotten at least 10-20 calls from this already, or do people hold onto them and call later in the season. I've still got about 3000 to hand out so there's still hope. Any ideas? :help:
  2. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Ya know I think it's called competition, your in your first real year right? You are the one competing right? As a sig here says, "advertise....."
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Statistically speaking Toledo, Ohio isn't exactly the best place for starting a lawn service. 1 or 2 calls per 500 flyers passed out isn't that bad. I don't know what your goals are but you will probably have 2 options. Spend a lot more money on advertising or consider only starting as part-time. Would it be possible for you to post a copy of your flyer here for others to critique?
  4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Just get your name out! Often lawn businesses come off to a slow start. Make sure you have business cards handy wherever you go. Drop a business card when you make certain purchases. For example, when you get your truck serviced, drop off your card. Tell people about your business and what you do. From my experience, not a whole lot of people pick someone to service their lawn unless they NEED it or have had it done in the past. Developing friendships with other business owners and other people in the area is a great way to pick things up. Last year by late March I was up to 14 clients (9 were returning customers from my neighborhood). So technically, my flyers only picked up 5 new customers. By June, my clientele more than doubled to 35, just by customer referrals and meeting/talking with others. I'm not familiar with Ohio, business may pick up slower. Just my words.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

They're right... just get your name out there...

4.5 weeks ago...(probably a little too early) I put out 700-800 flyers. Got one call the week after.... Then nothing... and discouraged. Last week, the weather broke a bit here... temperatures rose, sun was shinin'... the calls started coming in... approx. 13 calls from the flyers 9 resulted in weekly maintenance, 2 Fertilizer and 2 double checkin' my price quote... as I put the price on the flyer when I handed them out. During that week, I put signs on the truck... and handed out 3 business cards to couples who were out for their morning walks.

So I'm assuming most of the homes I delivered to held onto the flyers... whichs means I'll probably send another 400-600 out this coming week... Down here in the south... Commercial properties have been being maintained for a couple weeks now... but the residentials are just starting to come out of the house and notice their lawn turning green.
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

we have a very depresssed market, and lots of competition, and it snowed some saturday, i think you will get more calles, this week when its in the high 50's and the 60's
  7. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Don't give up! If you have to do it part time and work full time then do it. Do you think that we all started under ideal situations. This is the "shopping" time of the year in cleveland which since you are so close to our market it can be true in your area. What I mean by "shopping" is that nobody is pulling the trigger on services yet and we don't expect them for another two weeks. We have over 1500 customers and only about 40 have called us for spring start-ups so far. Within about two weeks we are expecting 40 calls a day. Hang in there.
  8. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Here is what worked for me last year just starting out. Hook up with a real estate company such as Coldwell Banker etc. They have a lot of property and forclosure houses. This is how I got started. Before I knew it I was mowing 15 yards part time. When I was mowing those properties I would have people come by and ask for an estimate. i got an additional 4 yards that way last year. Those four yards got me 4 more already this year. All I did for advertising last year was signs on my truck. I do this part time and because of those signs on my truck, referalls, and a good relationship with a Real Estate Company. I am booked up and because of the weather I have only mowed one yard this year. I have been very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time but also I am very particular and take care of my customers yard with quality.

Like the others have said Hang in there...sometimes you just have to go and knock on a few doors. Take care of those customers you do have and you will see word of mouth play in your favor.

Good Luck
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hang in there buddy...Get the rest of you doorhangers out there so people know who you are its hard getting new customers sometimes.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Just keep working and get your name out there as much as possible. Advertise everywhere and anywhere you can, things will get better.