Getting a gravely 252z 25 kaw or 27 kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Jul 19, 2005.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting a Gravely 252Z. What you guys think is a better motor 25hp kawasaki or 27hp kohler?
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The more power the better. I like Kawasaki my self, but I would choose the 27 kohler in this option. :)
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It is really the old "Ford or Chevy" debate. Since I sell Gravely, and Kawasaki and Kohler, I will give you my opinion. Go with the 27 Kohler. We have had no problems with the 27Hp Kohler. The big Kawasaki's seem to have a number of little nagging problems, and we see a lot of warranty work on the bigger Kawasaki engines. Seems to me, that once you go over about 13 or 14 hp on a Kawasaki, the dependability goes down.
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a 19 kawi with no probs so far but my buddys new 27 liquid kawi (150 hrs) is in the shop with gas in the oil. I would probably go Kohler with that choice.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In the 252Z application, I don't think it really matters much. If it were the 152Z application, I'd be inclined to go with the Kawasaki just because it fits the engine bay better. Same deal with Hustler.

But on stuff like Bob-Cat, Great Dane, ect, I like the Kohler a little better because it's much quieter than the Kawasaki with those exhaust systems.

But with the Gravely dealer here telling you he's seeing better reliability with the Kohler in that application might tip the scales....
  6. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running with the 27 hp Kohler on my 260Z and have been very happy. It gives plenty of power and performance. The kaws start better in colder weather, but that should not be an issue of performance.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree with what everybody else said, go with the Kohler.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i would go with the 25hp kaw. it will be plenty of power. in my area, the kaw. is the talked about motor, and the problems are with the kohler, but like it was said, it's dodge/ford/chevy thing. in my opinion, it boils down to do you want 25 or 27 hp. i think 27 is a bit much for a 52" deck.
  9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Go with the 25 Kawasaki......They have more torque and will out performe the 27 Kohler,I'm not downing the Kohler I have both a Kawasaki and a Kohler!!