Getting a Hustler super z which motor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mx495, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Can't decide between Kawasaki 25 and Honda 24. Have done some searches but didn't find much directly comparing. I know the Kaw has more torque, but Hondas are so quit and possibly more reliable??Just loking for opinions. thanks

For a little more i could get the kohler 27 or 30 but that seems like overkill to me.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The Honda 24's are underpowered engines.

The 25 Kawi is the better of the two.

Personally, I'd go with a 28EFI or 30 Kohler.

You can NEVER have too much power.
  3. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I like my Honda ... Do you have the Z, the Mini-Z, or the Super-Z? and what size deck ... I have the mini-Z with the 52" deck.
  4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

When I was looking at the Hustlers, even the Hustler dealer told me to stay away from the Honda motor. Might be just an opinion, but I am willing to bet that he knows those mowers better than most.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I had a demo SuperZ with a 60"deck and 24 Honda for a few days. It would bog a bit. As the owner of 2 Kohler EFI engines I would suggest the 28 EFI. It is a powerful motor that will handle the demands of a Super Z. Kawi is also a decent motor but I am really an EFI fan. Good luck with your new mower.
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We run the Super Zs and have the 25 Kaws. While they have been great, I would opt for the bigger Kohler on any new purchases.
  7. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

I demoed a Super Z 60"/25 kaw last fall. It seemed to do an ok job and I was in around 16" of grass. My dealer said that this is the engine that he sells on most of his units this size. After reading and posting since fall, I am going with a 28hp efi on Super Z 60" X-R7 in mid-March.
  8. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Super Z 60inch 24hp Honda w/ a spindle driven vac system. Plenty of power for grass and leaf cleanup. The giant motors are getting a bit out of hand.
  9. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I bought a Super Mini 52" with the 24 Honda. Everything else has always had Kohler. Mine was a demo with 2 hrs on it, got a great deal. Kohlers have more torqe, Honda does not seem to near the engine, still it is okay. Only have 100 hrs on it. Uses more fuel than the Kohlers. Seems to vaporlock when it's hot, sometimes in the summer I have to run the choke for a while, clears up after a few minutes. I only use regular gas, no ethanol. Filters and parts are more too. Warranty is supposed to be good, haven't had to use it. I bag, it does pull it down, only a problem on slopes when you need all the power. I do like it, it's not any quieter than the Kohlers,no matter what you hear from others. IMO
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What HP/Inch mower have you previously run?

On paper, the 24 Honda is a dog. In real life, I experienced the same on a DC with 60" deck. I witnessed entirely too much RPM drop just tooling around the back 40 of my dealer.

I would say the 24 Honda is adequate, but then back in the mid 90's 18-20hp was considered "adequate" on a 60" machine.

To some people, not stalling out is plenty powerful.

To others, not dropping more than 100 RPM is plenty powerful.

It's all what your used to and what your expectations are. In '97 I thought I was livin' large with a 25hp 60" cut DC. Now, the 25hp is barely an option.