1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting a liscense?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Where and how do I get a liscense and insurance. At 16, can I get insurance and what is it categorized under. Thanks for the help.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

do you have car insurance, call them or your parents homeowners insurance, you may have to put the business in an adults name..... most companies want you to have 4 years experience or they wont even talk to you, your asking for liability insurance for a lawn mowing company, dont say landscaping as it is different, ...1 mil coverage could be anywhee form 300 a month to 600 a month.... same with registuring your business name with the state, get you dad older brother mom or someone and put stuff in there name......check with the county some require it some dont...

your best bet at 16 is to try and get a job with an established lawn care service and gain some experience....i know thats not what you watn to hear but it is true ( and good luck and success)

for fert. you have to take and pass a test in the state of ohio.....
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I agree with Dave on this one. If your parents are up to it, you can put the business and insurance under their name. However, you would benefit GREATLY to get a job with a lawn care company at least until you are 18. Not only will you learn how to be efficient with your equipment, you will learn many tricks of the trade that will save you time and money when you are ready to go it alone. Good for you, though for wanting to start your own business, and wanting to do it legally and legitimately. Good luck.
  4. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

most lawn care guys around here who i tried to get a job with won't let me work with them till i am atleast 18 i can't wait that long to learn it all i hope to be quite busy by myself when i am 18. im 16 now no insurance on my stuff yet but i do plan on it this year i couldn't afford it all my money i make is going to get me started off the 9 yards i got now are doing fine with helping me get started but next year i hope to get alot more. i can't wait till im 18 to learn how these guys do it the only way i could work with them is if i were related to them in some way. the insurance companies won't let them higher minors to use that mowers and most other equipment. the only thing i could do would be trim and the 3 guys i talked to said it wouldn't be worth just having me tag along just to trim and blow

enough with me venting but what should i do if i cant learn from the big guys but want to be set off with a good job rite out of highschool if they won't hire me how can i learn or what can i do to learn as of now i am learning by trial and error
  5. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

o and if there is anyone from westerm michigan that wouldn't mind me shadowing or lending a hand for awhile just ask im more then willing
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

get an adult to help you, that simple and you in business legally...
  7. Turf Lady

Turf Lady LawnSite Member

I as well agree with the others, Congradulations on your determination of wanting to be liget and being on your own.
    Since your in greenville get with Flory, been around along time and he is a straight up guy and down to earth. Works year round and does is full of knowleged.

Get with a company that has experience and years behind them. :waving: