Getting a new 30hp Cub Cadet Tank with the Select Cut System tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capnsac, Jul 8, 2008.

1. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I just got the M60 tank last November with the command cut deck, it only had 25hp and the old deck didn't discharge well when the grass was mildly wet. The new select cut deck with adjustable lip, new baffles for higher deck velocity, and 4" more cutting edge on each blade, white wheel motors, plus a 30hp Kohler Command engine should do the trick.

I can't wait to try this puppy out. The old tank was tougher than nails, and I'd say that first cut pass this thing would do wonders. But then discharging coming back would always suck, so I'd always have to double cut. I think I like double cutting about as much as getting cavities filled. So I've done my research and I'm going to get a new 60" Tank for $8150 out the door. Talk about a deal! I'm like a kid all over again. :cool2::cool2:

I will take pictures and give a full review after a full day of cutting tomorrow. It should be interesting, and I am very hopeful that I will have to do little to no double cutting. A little side note, the only reason why I have to double cut still is we are getting a 100-year flood in Nebraska, so the grass is still growing just as quickly as it did in spring. Nevertheless, come next-year springtime, if I do get behind I will be able to tackle jobs that much faster with this machine. Making this purchase was thought out for I'd say 8 hours a day the past 2 months...if you can guess where I was thinking about it I will give you a cookie :laugh::laugh:

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

let me know how it works , thinking the same mower with a kaw in Ohio ...been raining and growing nice no skips yet , if no skips in JULY ,I will order one in sept with a bagger....for leaves .......................

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

GREAT BUY!!! I have a 48" 23hp TANK with the select cut system deck and I love it.

4. capnsac

Thanks!! :waving::waving:

I have the old M60 2007 model with the command cut system, but from what I hear this deck is supposed to blow it out of the water. I'll let you know if it's worth it.

5. J.A.G LAWNCARE

i have a 48 with a 19kaw with 850 hours work it like a dog , never been in the shop , push leaves , mow woods , mow lawns but the bagger sucks if wet no blower.....
    I think it is a 2005 model....

6. Bob's Services LLC

Bob's Services LLC LawnSite Member

I bought an 08 Tank with the 30 horse Kohler and the Select Cut Deck back in May. I cut anywhere from a 1/2 acre parcel to a 15 acre sports complex. I think it gives a great cut! The cut is great! What sold me was the pivoting front axle. All the Exmark guys told me to stay away from the pivoting front axle, but I have a lot of spots that are very bumpy and you can't even tell with how nice of a cut this machine leaves. I would think the fixed front axle would leave a choppy cut. I've only had the center bracket on the stripping roller fall off twice, I just took it off. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!
    The adjustments with the adjustable front skirt actually do what they say they do too!

Bob's Services LLC

'08 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Cummins Turbo Diesel
    Gehl 3610 Skid Loader
    '08 M60 Cub Cadet Tank
    8'2" Boss V-Plow

7. Davie

Davie LawnSite Member

I have the recon wish I would have went with the tank... i have had trouble out of mine the left wheel is weak they say it is the motor I think it is in the hydrolics. anyway they are going to replace the wheel motor and see if it helps..

8. Tim White

Tim White LawnSite Member

This is from a die hard tank fan, 08,30hp kohler,60in. Found out yesterday I have a blown head gasket, 70 hrs. on machine, then today I broke the belt that goes from the motor to the deck. Have had the deck leveled twice so far. My old 54in. tank had a honda 24hp. motor and seems to have twice the grunt of the kohler. Love the tank but this one is not giving me a warm fuzzy so far.

9. capnsac

Well there's good news and bad news ladies and gents. The bad news is I didn't get to mow as long as I wanted today. The good news is it took me half the time to do all of my jobs today, because this thing kicks so much A$$!!! I got it at 9 this morning and had it covered in grass by 9:30, there was no babying this thing. I was a bit apprehensive because it was so wet this morning. I thought there was no way in hell this thing was going to be able to disperse that wet grass because of my preconceived notions from my old tank. How wrong I was! I just cannot express how much I absolutely love this machine.

The guys I mow with said to me today, 'the old one was the tank, this one is like the tank on steroids!' I mean that's really how it is. The kohler is quiet and super powerful. The new wheel motors really get this thing moving. I am talking every bit as fast as a hustler super z, and a better finished cut. I am so amazed by this machine that I can't wait to use it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Every property I have now is going to be that much easier and I am going to be able to take on more work.

If you don't have one, get one. It's a night and day difference what you can do with this machine. I didn't touch the baffles or the lip. I left em on and the lip on the low setting. It didn't leave a strand of uncut grass and i figured it wasn't broke don't fix it. I cut on 3" normally, but I am thinking of going even lower, probably 2 3/4" or even 2 1/2". I am no longer scared to do that, before I thought man, this is going to require a whole day of double cutting. No more, no more! Bring on spring!

I dunno what's going on with yours Tim, I love mine to death though. The Kohler Command really chewed through the thick wet stuff today and didn't even bat an eye. I was amazed at how well the grass was dispersed even though the grass was completely saturated.

And Bob, it sounds like your dealer didn't tighten everything down like they should have. I can't say that anything has fallen off of either one of my tanks yet, knock on wood. I'd just let your dealers know they need to do something when putting these machines together because something like that shouldn't happen.

Other than that folks, I can't say enough about how delighted I am, and I got it right before the price increase to make the deal that much sweeter. Take care all.

capnsac

10. J.A.G LAWNCARE

when is the price increase???