1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting a new trailer title....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by redoak77, Sep 11, 2007.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

So I am looking to buy this new trailer but the person i m buying it off of does not have a title for it. How or what do i need to do if i buy it to get a new title and get it put in my name? It seems like it might be a big hassle.
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Painless procedure (in WA state, at least).

The current owner(s) must obtain and fill out an affidavit of loss/release, then you may use that form to apply for a new title. Of course, there is a fee involved in the transaction.

The trailer may need to be inspected by your respective State Patrol.
  3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

In my area you are pretty much screwed and the only option is to register it homemade. This means taking it to inspection (be aware the inspectors will fail their own grandmothers) and then if you pass they make you a title and start from scratch.
    Not expensive, just a pain in the ballsack.
  4. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

sounds to me that person financed this new trailer and now wants to sell it to you... This is awfull shakey area and one to approach very carefully,. I know here in CT or MAss,, the MV will pick up on the serial number instantly, and ask, where is the original signed off title..