Getting a real job!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by affprop, Jul 2, 2003.

1. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

Well I have done it. I have given up on chasing money and all the other b.s. I have gone to work for John Deere Landscapes. I will miss the full time action but I wont miss chasing money or waiting for the next check. Good luck to all. I will still be on and browsing and I talk alot about Lawnsite to other lco that come in the store. Take care.
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

cutting lawns is not a REAL JOB???????
  3. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

That not what I mean and I hope that point doesnt get out of context. Mowing has been a very satisfing hard but rewarding business and no matter what anyone else says it is a true profession. What I am talking about I probably should have said is I'm punching the clock now. And Im still keeping 35 acct's so Ill still be mowing .
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh lord another good one goes bad. Just kidding, good luck with your new endeavers

5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

In March I was terminated by a major corp. due to downsizing. Since then I have taken my part-time lawn care business full time. I have had numerous "real job" offers, had one today from a major corp, no thanks. I have grown to like being my own boss.
    LOL.:blob1: :D :cool:
  6. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Hey not to give you any ****... But arnt you still in the same business??
  7. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

Not really JDL up here in portsmouth nh really only has irrigation supplies, that is the bulk of it. They can get anything in the JDL catalog and other stuff. I am working the counter and delivering a little bit as well. And yes I am still keeping my hands in to it. The biggest reason is I am tired og chasing money and help. I am going to take the reast of the season and learn irrigation better, and the branch mgr dave is awesome so I hope to learn more from him. I will get laid off in Nov. so I will still plow and I am going to look at Christmas Lighting as well.
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have been on vacation from my FT job for the past week and a half. Tonight is my first night back to FT work. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I get 4 weeks paid vacation and in those 4 weeks my income almost doubles in my PT job.

I think I will stick it out, get some large stuff paid off, and say so long to my FT job.

I couldn't imagine going from self employed making the kinda money I make (just part time) to punching a clock.

9. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like being your own boss, nevertheless, congrats and good luck!
  10. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

That is true, but I think the single scariest moment of our lives was 5yrs ago when we both went from working FT for someone else to being our own bosses. We both own our own businesses, but sometimes in my weaker moments ( when the insurance bill comes) I reminisce about paying squat for health care. But, that being said, it would be really difficult to punch the clock after tasting freedom. So, you gotta feel for him.

Good luck to you!!