1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting a social security number

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Oct 12, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to agree with Rustic on this one. My customers would tell me to take a hike.
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

All you are in college is a SS#!! I keep expecting one of my professors to ask me a question and refer to me as Mr. @#$-@#-!(@&* instead of Mr. Holman. I don't like giving my SS# to many people.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++A better, and eisier solution will be to collect one month in advance, and dont let them get behind. Im sure you will find that getting paid one month in advance will be easier than getting a ss #.++++

I actually like this idea the best, but how do you do it with QUickbooks? I've played around with it, but I've had no luck so far.

What I'd really like to do is get payment for four cuts, plus sales tax, up front and basically hold that as a deposit. Then bill normally in arrrears. When they cancel, the deposit would post to the current statement. Or after a year of current payments, I could post the deposit to their monthly statements.

If I knew how to make this work in Quickbooks, I'd be all over it.

I guess I could go open a separate checking account where I post customer's deposits and keep track of these deposits on a separate spreadsheet. I guess I could make that work. But it would be a little more complicated.

If only their monthly statements would show something reflecting the up-front deposit being held. That would seem to be the best, in my opinion. Maybe I could just write it in by hand every month..."$125 deposit being held in separate account."

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Rustic. No SS#.

As far as quickbooks, record it under the customer in a seperate business. Then when you actually use the deposit, apply it to their account in your working business. That's what I did for snow deposits last winter. And if you are going to take deposits, you should hold them in a seperate account apart from other money so you don't spend it all.