Getting A Website?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KELLY'S LC, Sep 15, 2005.

1. KELLY'S LC

KELLY'S LC LawnSite Member

HEY GUYS, QUESTION OF THE DAY FOR ME. WHERE CAN I GET A WEBSITE DESIGNED FOR REASONABLE FEE. I REALLY WANT TO GROW MY BUSINESS AND I FEEL THIS IS A NECESSITY. ANY EXPERIENCES, GOOD OR BAD OR ADVICE YOU GUYS HAVE WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED.....ALSO..MESSAGE FOR SONSCAPES IN GOLDSBORO, I HAVEN'T FIGURED THIS SITE OUT YET AS FAR AS SENDING YOU A MESSAGE, BUT I WOULD LIKE THE NAME AND NUMBER FOR THE GUY IN GOLDSBORO YOU TOLD ME ABOUT CONCERNING VEHICLE LOGO, SHIRTS, CARDS etc. CAN YOU SEND IT TO ME ON THIS SITE?.. IF NOT, WOULD IT BE ALRIGHT IF I LOOKED YOU UP IN THE PHONE BOOK AND CALLED....JUST NEED TO KNOW WHO TO ASK FOR.......THANKS...

2. main street lawn care

main street lawn care LawnSite Member

Click on the link above for Gopher. They have all differnet templets that youcan edit and make for your self for free! With the stuff that they give you for free you don't need to pay someone. I did it with mine and it was easy. www.mainstreetlawncare.com

Call me anytime and I can fill you in on the specifics of how to do it..

Jeff

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Tony12

Tony12 LawnSite Member

What do you consider a reasonable fee? If $290 for up to 6 pages is reasonable I suggest you check out http://www.webdesign.medialinkers.com/ as they are in the process of doing my site.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Of course it's easy if you copy the wording on your site from someone elses site. Did you get TJ's ok from JustMowing before you used his Services info?
    If you did then I apologize but chances are good that just took what you wanted with no regard for the hard work of others.

Check it out for yourselves:
    TJ's Services Page
    Main Streets Services Page

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

wow.... ;) BUSTED!

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe needs a thread of its own or maybe a poll, but how much work do you guys get strictly from your website??

In other words, if you didn't have a site, would you have less business??

8. YodaMouse

YodaMouse LawnSite Member

My recommendation is to go to www.coolhomepages.com and look at the pre-designed templates. They cost a fraction of an originally designed site--about $40 to $90--and they are supremely beautifull.

You will need to know a little HTML/XML scripting and perhaps a little java or flash to input your information onto the template.

If you can't do it yourself, have a designer do it for you. Even if they charge you the same fee as designing a new site, I guarantee that running off the template will yield you a spectacular result.

Also, plagarism is the lifeblood of the web design industry. Without stealing ideas/content from each other inovation would stagnate in this field. Web sites are not MP3's--you can only advance your artistic skills if you build on someone else's content!

For many years I worked for a VERY well known company doing design. We spent thousands of hours poring over other people's work. I once even contacted another company and got them to send us some of their source art so we could copy it!

If you have technical questions, I don't mind giving a little free advice: arakitai@hotmail.com

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're one of the few people who sees this, I see it myself... It's one of the reasons why I always thought a copyright on a Web site was absolute bogus, not to mention copyright only applies to something that never changes (such as a book, once written it stays like that word-for-word) while the entire concept of a Web site is updates, making it a dynamic environment rather than static.

Ultimately, how would a link directory get its links if it didn't find them somehow... How would a site have graphics if it didn't download them someplace? Create your own? Dream on, LOL! In the end, a site and its code is just bits and snippets of hundreds or thousands (or millions in some cases) of little working parts formed to make a whole, and all the bits and pieces have to come from somewhere.

I second the recommendation of doing it yourself, strongly. It's not about the money, it's about your site because whether you know this or not, each and every site contains a piece of the creator and so if you don't build it, then it doesn't have a part of you - It's like asking someone else to paint YOUR canvas!

Don't steal an entire site and don't copy pages in their entirety but use the bits and pieces to make it your own, and you'll do just fine. Most of my site is copy-and-paste, I found most everything my site consists of on this Internet, for free (ok some of the things cost money, but most did not). No it isn't a business site, I started it as a way to earn extra income and in the end turned it into an entertainment site because traffic on the Web doesn't really want to spend money (thou google's adsense kicks, as do places that pay 6-8 cents per thousand banner impressions when I can kick out 500k of those a month, truly free content RULES for traffic).

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll evolve a bit on the Website thing... In this day and age of computers, everything is about instants and moments, and a thought today should be completely available online within hours, while nothing could be further from the truth... Had I known this, I would have saved myself a LOT of frustration, patience is key, the secret to a million hits/month site is there is no secret: Most of them have been around for years, and I mean 5 or more. It can easily take a year or two to design a really kick-azz site, and a Lawnsite that kicks azz COULD outdo paid advertising to where all you pay is server fees and your phone rings without further ado.

I was like most, figured 24-48 hours and things should be ready, right? Man, I threw more than a few fits in the time and to this day hold resentment towards the folk who post all the crap about how free and easy it is.
    It took me six months to learn the basics of designing my own site. Once I 'got' it, it took another 90 days before I could type my own dot.com into ANY browser and see MY site onscreen. I cried that day.
    It took another year to get listed on Yahoo, two more before I got into Dmoz.
    Years!!! LOL!

Now some folk may understand that when I talk about one day building a business site for my lawncare operation, it's no big deal to me when I say it MAY be online next year but while some think 'yeah right,' I also know the possibility is certainly more definite than that.

Sure a designer can save you the headaches and the time, but then you have ideas, you can't make the changes. Want traffic, want this, want that? Tough, you can't do $hi7 with your OWN web site! No way, never would I let my baby in the trust of someone else's hands, thou many do.
    I can assure you Yahoo is self-created, as is Google.
    When you can see the soul of the person inside the site you're visiting, THAT's when you know you got it down right... Watch out, you might not always like what you see AND as humans we don't always see what we should :)