getting a zero-turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriplePLandscaping, Jul 16, 2005.

1. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

ive been looking for a ztr for some time now and have narrowed it down to a few choices. i dont want to go bigger than a 52" deck. a dealer in my area has a used gravely 250z with about 450hrs. on it. thats the 2 series their top models, it has a 50 inch deck with the 19horse kawa motor. they had sold it not even 2 years ago to a church in the area for thier mowing needs so i has never been used commercially they said it sold for 6500 and they are now asking 4800 for it. any ideas, comments?

2. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What is your dealer like? Do they offer demos if your machine is down? Do they seem to have a steady stream of clientele? Have you tried at least a couple different machines on your properties? What type of cutting will you be doing?

3. TriplePLandscaping

there are actually several dealers in the are but this one that is selling the gravely is the only major stihl dealer, so i have a basis with him b/c of my stihl purchases. they are pretty well established, and have a great service station. i am not so sure about offering demos during downtime, ill have to ask. my lots range in size from 1/3 acre up to 2 acre lots. next season i might be getting a 4 acre lot, and alot more lots that are approximately 1/4 acres. for this reason i think the 50" deck is a good choice for the range of lots.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You can buy a brand new scag tiger cub for 6k or less 19 kawasaki 52 inch cut.

5. TriplePLandscaping

one of my close friends just bought a tiger cub and he loves the machine, ive pretty much steered clear of scag's b/c of their price but ill look into the cub. id like to make a correction to my previous post, seems ive underestimated the size of my lots and they are all pretty much 1/2 acre or more rather than 1/3 or 1/4 acre lots, just used a unit converter. and my largest lot has a lot of trees spaced just far enough to get a ztr around them, which would greatly cut down on trim time, as it takes too long to use my riding tractor to cut around them right now.

6. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The gravely is nice. Tiger cub is also great. I would recommend a super mini z, but there are sooo many nice units out there. Demo and see which 19hp is not enough IMO

7. Professional Lawn Care

Professional Lawn Care LawnSite Member

We have a commercial Gravely with a 44" deck. We have had no problems and like it a lot. We bought it new from our Stihl dealer also.