1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting accounts from realtors

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BBL, Jun 27, 2007.

1. BBL

BBL LawnSite Member

Hi all, got another newbie question here :laugh: I was thinking to help jump start getting accounts without spending a lot on advertising was emailing local realtors that advertise on the net and ask them if they needed any services for some of their properties, but not sure how to go about it. was wondering how you guys usually go about it doing it and if you have had success with emailing local realtors vs telephoning or throwing a flyer at their office, etc.

Thanks guys,
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

realtors dont own homes.....

the lawn belongs to the homeowner, all's you can do is call them "trying NOT to bother them" and see if they will pass along your card
  3. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We emailed over 50 real estate agents back in early April. ZERO response!
  4. Mowens

Mowens LawnSite Member

We lucked out and had a couple big time realtors call us for service on properties that they rent out. They liked our service and then gave us numerous referalls. Most of the referalls they got us were temporary just until the homeowner sold their home, but alot of times the new buyer will sign on as a client as well. Other than that I really don't know of a good way to get in with realtors...I have tried to contact realtors I didn't know personally and as stated before, no response. But if you get in good with a realtor and they really like you, they will refer you and only you.
  5. BBL

BBL LawnSite Member

Realtors are homeless people? :laugh:

Yeah I guess I kinda worded the original post wrong there, but was wondering how to get accounts off of a realtor.

from the sound of it, looks like I am better off printing up some flyers...
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow the lawns of 7 foreclosed properties for a Realtor. She is responsible for managing them for the bank. It is a sweet deal.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

No they don't own the homes they sell, but they do recommend things that need to be done to sell the home...most realtors have a list of contractors they deal with for various tasks.

Never hurts to call or throw around some business cards. You're more likely to get clean-up type work instead of regular mowing but if you get in well with the right agents it can be good.
  8. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

Get in good with a realtor and become an approved vendor for them and you'll do great.... or atleast I have.... its can be short term depending on the market but theres a lot of upsell potential and you might even land a new homeowner in the process.

Any new buisness is good business.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea never had any luck with it, most of the time the home owner already had a set up for lawn care. did it there self or had a company.

sometimes people move outta state and things like that.

never had any luck with foreclosers either, most of the time people know when there going to b foreclosed on, so it's in a mess.

had a company call me, they had foreclousers, but by the time everyone had there hand in it, there was no money left, If you can get in with a banker HE will pay good. but if it's outsourced forget it....

Good luck
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Most realtors are cheap nickel and dimers. I have a select few I do work for. I mean SELECT FEW. Better chance would be to try property managers. Thats where you may have better luck.