Getting accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Just needed some more advice! Thanks in advance! Well I went out to a upper class neighborhood on a golf course and passed out buisness cards and fliers. I paper clipped the card to the flier and then taped them on the door knobs and handle making sure not to put them on any paint. I am limited on funds so this is why I am doing it this way.

- a couple of questions is it to early for this.
    - does this sound like a good way to go about advertising
    - would putting a add in the local paper be another good way

Thinks for the help:usflag:

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Its never to early to get your name out there.

Dont tape ANYTHING to a house. No matter where it is.

See how many other companies advertise in your local paper and go from there. Most of the time its a waste of money.

3. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

how do you advertise for neighborhoods without taping them to the house. Not trying to sound ******** or stubborn. How do you guys get new accounts starting out. Do I wait until evening time when the people are home? Thanks for the help:usflag:

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

rcracer - that a way in getting a jump on your marketing. I assume your mowing season starts within 4-6 weeks or so. If further out, you may have been a bit early to flyerize but hey any marketing is better than none. If it is not too expensive, definitely run an ad in your local paper. I sold a fair bit of other-than-mowing services (mostly shrub trimming) this way last season. Good way to let people know that you are around and in business and legit.

5. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

yeah I should be able to start around the first or secnd week in march. thanks I am trying to get out there and get some accounts. Thanks for the help, also I have been posting ads on craiglist for moving random stuff. I have gotten a couple of calls. Has anyone else tried this?:usflag:

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

No dice on Craigslist for me - but then again I am near a small city and the website probably does not get action near enough. I see you are operating in a larger city so you may have some better luck

7. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Sending first batch of 500 post cards out the 20th, another batch three weeks later

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Try door hangers or postcards

9. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

sounds good thanks for the help fella's:usflag:

10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You will get alot better results with the flyers then you will with a newspaper ad.