getting any tips yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Some of our lawn customers we finished up the first week of November, I sent out their invoices. They sent in their payment, and also enclosed a tip.
    Normally we don't get any tips until December rolls around, so this is early this year.
    When you get a tip like that and you are already finished up their account for the season, do you then send a thank you note? Give them a call?
    How do you handle your thank yous?
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I get around $1200 from my customers at Christmas. I always send them thank you notes.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A thank you card that you've "hand written" a note of thanks inside keeps'em coming, year after year.
  4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never got a tip yet, and all my customers seem to be very happy with my service and really like me.... must be the area or something..
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I get tips right before Christmas. Never thought of thank you note. I always thought the lil tightwads just owed it to me:laugh:
  6. robby

robby LawnSite Member

And I thought it was just me. All my years at this and I can count the number of Xmas tips on one hand. It's either an ohio thang, or the fact that I have mostly cheapo clients that despite getting charged lowball prices, they still don't see the need to feel grateful. Maybe a large price increase would bring about their Xmas spirit, lol.
  7. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Nine years and the only tip I have ever gotten is a jar of jelly. My customers are happy and are mostly very nice people, just not giving evidently
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Tips we have gotten in the past Jodi are usually cards around the Christmas Holiday with checks/prepaid store cards, etc. inside by themselves...never with the last invoice that I can remember. And it's nice when you get them since it makes you feel like you made a difference. To be perfectly honest, I divide it all up and give to my guys...they're the ones that earned it IMO.

I have never really thought about sending a thank you for their thank you...seems kind of reduntant to me.
  9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Yep got one with a payment for the Oct invoice. Kinda weird because I need to invoice for service provided for Nov. Wondering how the customer will react to that. I think they thought we were done, but they still had leaves on the trees.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

So far just one from a new customer. 75 bucks is a nice gesture. I always send holiday greetings and special hand written notes to the tippers.