Getting away from Scotts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Been using Scott's fert for years, from reading here I don't see any of you using it in fact a lot of you don't even recommend it being too high in N and not only that you all say there are other brans out there that are cheaper.

Here's what I need to know, I want to set up a program starting now, another brand but I don't know where to get it? Most of you have mentioned Lesco however I don't have a Lesco close to me. I could travel 35 miles to one IF and only IF it becomes a "no alternative" because of disability I don't drive otherwise it would not be a problem.

I have a Southern States which is local and not "out of the way" so looking to start there but since I'm researching now for probably end of July treatment I got plenty of time.

What you guys recommend I start with. Something close to the Scott's sumer rizer, I definitely need something to control weeds plus a grub control.

2. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just got 5 bags of Milorganite, I'll try it.

3. drugrep

drugrep LawnSite Member

What I like about Scott's is what they say in their new commercials.

Each granual has NPK in it. It is very even. Other brands are just mixed together.

If you like Synthetics, and I do, I think Scott's is best.

(Fertilome might be same way and I would then say same thing about them.)

4. Kylec3

Kylec3 LawnSite Member

just made the transition from scotts to lesco this past year as i got my pesticide license and all....im noticed a lot of improvment using lesco on my lawns that are somewhat shaded or very shady....the scotts just has way too much nitrogen..but the lawns that are in direct sunlight arent nearly as green as when i was using scotts....may not be as green but my lawns have def been healthier and thicker

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

We'll see your hitting the nail directly on the head my friend. I should take a pic of the front now and compare it to some of the pics in some of my other threads. Though I'm not concerned, the area that is in full sun all day just looks brownish but the same front lawn that gets partly shade still looks awsome. Were getting pleanty of rain but temps are in the 90's for the last week so some browning this time of year could be expected, just think its time to get away from scotts.

6. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

hey whats wrong with milorganite?

7. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Milorganite works great, just a lot of product per 1000 sqft to walk out.

Look into u-maxx and u-flexx from spring valley. Awesome product!

8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I don't buy in bulk, so I just go to Walmart and buy their brand. It's cheaper than Scott's and I think it says on the bag that it's made by Scott's. Think I paid about $28.00 for 15,000 Sq. Ft. bag.

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Nitrogen is usually applied at a rate of 1 lb. per 1000 square feet, so the people who say Scotts has too much N are not informed. It's your application RATE that determines how much N is being put down.

Your SOURCES of N and the additional macro and then micro nutrients, and their sources determine the QUALITY of the product. And that QUALITY of the product needs to be detemrined by the nutritional needs of your particular turfgrass, and your soil composition.

Fertilization is a very complex subject. Start by reading the recommendations from your local county extension service. Then familiarize yourself with the different SOURCES of products . . . and you'll have only started to scratch the surface!

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to post somethng similer to this. You beat me to it. I don't understand how you can start a fertilizing business without even a basic understanding of fertilizer. I spend alot of time educating people on the correct way of doing things, after they got bad information from someone claiming to know what they were talking about because they wanted to make a quick buck. If you want to get into a business to make a quick buck, go mow some grass, but learn a little bit before you get into fert and weed control.