1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting back in the business...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bozack23, May 25, 2010.

1. bozack23

bozack23 LawnSite Member

O.K. so I have decided to get back in the lawncare business but this time I want to do it different. I had 35 accounts for 3 years about 8 years ago. I bought 20 accounts, a 36 Lesco Hydro walk behind, and two commercial 21 Lawnboys from a coworker and got the other 15 accounts by word of mouth. Learned the hard way not to buy accounts or start out with debt. The good news is when I got out of the business I was able to sell the accounts and equipment.This time I want to start from scratch and build it myself. My dilema is I don't have alot of money to buy equipment and I want to go after bigger yards than I had before (1/2 acre and bigger). Would it be possible to get these accounts with smaller equipment like 21 commercial mowers or do most customers like the look a larger walk behind leaves.
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I take it when you sold you didn't do a disclosure ?

if you were in the business you should know what you have to do.

they simply dont hire 20 year old Presidents, They Just dont
  3. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

You can't go after 1/2 acre accounts with 21 inch mowers because you won't be able to bid competitively against guys running big machines;that should be obvious to you,unless you find homeowners who insist on a 21".Go after the smaller places,you know, small gates,steps that you can't get a larger mower up, until you can upgrade.