1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting bad edges with a stick edger/wheeled edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Aug 9, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Last season we used mostly a string trimmer to edge along, well pretty much everything. But this season we bought a wheeled edger and a Echo stick edger and they both are leaving a not so good edge on everything. Its almost like either one tears the grass out rather than giving it a nice clean look. The wheeled edger we switched to an 8 point blade and the stick edger has the standard blade. IMO using the string trimmer looked a heck of a lot better but not perfectly straight some of the time. Any thoughts? :waving:
  2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ECHO edger, I find that you cant let the blade get too deep in the dirt it slows the blade too much and doesn't cut very well and it wears the blade out fast. If you want your cut wider, just walk 3 or 4 inches farther away from the edge your cutting. Copy, over?
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You always have to make sure that the very front edge of the spinning blade is making contact with the cement. Also, it has to be contacting at a little bit of a wedge. The back of the blade needs to be away from the cement just a hair. This gives a cleaner sciccor type cut. If you are right even, or worse yet, the fron of the blade is allowed to pull out away from the cement just a bit, it just pinches material in between (the blade and the cement) and doesn't cut clean.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no bag--maybe you oughto run a bagger on that thing!

seriously, I have a cheapass wheeled edger and that thing lays an edge like a surgeon's scalpel.

GEO :)
  5. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

The clue that you gave was "tearing the grass" what this means is that the blade is not sharp. You can dull a blade after just 2 lawns so you may need to change blades more often. I sometimes sharpen my blades by putting the square edge back or I just flip the blade to the good side.