1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Bahaia out of Centipede yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Captain Worley, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Captain Worley

Captain Worley LawnSite Member

I'm tring to rid my yards of Bahaia. I've given up on the backyard until next year (its almost all Bahaia) and concentrating on the front yards. I'm dethatching down to soil, then planting a Centipede/carpetgrass mix. I'm doing it a few patches at a time.

I have about a 10 X 30 strip that is Bahaia. Is Roundup, followed by stripping to soil and reseeding with centipede the best way to go? I'm open to suggestions.

Also, is roundup the best way to deal with small patches of bahaia?

I'd really like to get the centipede running and growing again.
  2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure you can remove it totally. The root can go down 10 FEET deep.

Check out bahiagrass.com
  3. Captain Worley

Thanks for the link.

Decided to use the Roundup on it...
  4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

You can spray Sethoxydim E-pro/Vantage or I think Hi-Yield sells it as Grass Getter or something like that to get rid of the Bahia. It will probably take a couple treatments but Centipede is one of the few grasses that's tolerant to that material so you can clean-out most grasses with it.
  5. Captain Worley

Vantage is a post emergent, right? Thanks, someone mentioned that to me about six months ago, and I couldn't remember the name.
  6. PHS

Definitely a post-em. The Hi-yield version is just called "Grass Killer" not grass getter. If you can find that that would be better because it's a much smaller container.
  7. gpenny

gpenny LawnSite Member

Use a herbicide called Manor (there is a cheaper generic version called Cimmarron). This will kill the Bahia without harming the centipede or Bermuda. I have used this successfully for years and the results are nothing short of phenomenal. Follow label directions!
  8. PHS

I'll second that. I recently started using MSM/turf (Quali-pro version) and it smoked the Bahia on my lawns. I mnetioned the Hi-yield products instead because it's easier to use and less expensive for a homeowner