Getting beat up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Aug 17, 2003.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Talked to a fellow lawn care owner this past week.
    He deals mostly with commercial accounts that we know of.
    He says that he is getting beat up bad this year. (beat up in the wallet I mean) Grass is growing something fierce around these parts. And he sure didn't sound too happy.
    Anyone that isn't by the cut unless bid correctly, has to be taking a beating.

I'm a firm believer that's why we have such a hard time winning commercial bids. These guys go in there and bid it like it is going to be a drought year. Glad to see this year has been otherwise. ;)
  2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I keep telling people that it alternates years. 1 year will be a drought, the next will be lots of growth, drought, growth, drought growth.... does anyone listen? NO.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this is the year that I wish I had more of ME on the payroll!:D

the people that usually hate to see me show up are calling and asking where I am this year.

it has rained almost every day and we haven't had a 2 sun blazing days in a row all summer. temps rarely out of the '80's.

this is the first year that I could have proffited immensely by having a really big mowing machine. otherwise, the ole 48 lesco has done a great job.

most of my commercial jobs are related to the service industry so even in the dry years, they need me to come and make the place lood good. this year, every week it's like a spring cut.

I love it.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

In the mid-Atlantic states, you're not making money like normal. I know last year's drought hurt many, but all of this excessive growth doesn't help the bottom line. I know that myself and many of my competitors expect to get killed a little in mid April through mid June, but then the heat and less rain USUALLY slow things up a bit. THe lawns that were a bagging nightmare only fill a catcher or 2, or can be mulched. NOT this year. My crews are taking as long now to mow as in the spring. So yes its nice to be mowing weekly in August w/ no appreciable "skips", but, it is wearing on the equip and OT. When will we see a "Normal" seasonal year??
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Like Turfdude says

Cutting grass like spring and the crew taking as long. The other thing is there is so much water IN the grass that dumping is costing me a fortune. We pay per ton and that has gone up 12% and an extra dump run in the week. The last 3 seasons I did not catch for most the summer. Had nothing to dump. Glad I raised prices this year.

Honestly I do like having the extra rain, not this much. And the cooler temps is a pleasure.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

God bless America and New York, but I'll never live there!!!
  7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I'll tell ya what.....Jersey, an NY can kiss my ----- if they haven't paid for the turnpike, or the GW bridge by now....Theres a problem.

If it wasnt for the tolls up here, drivin would be a pleasure goin south. They have the worst hwy system in the entire US!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greedy -------- just wont stop...They would rather collect than to have the traffic actually move for a change.

I remember it use to be a pleasure drivin to Fla.... Not anymore the idiots jus gotta tie up the traffic for hours for thier piece a ---- 2.00-3.00 tolls.

New York...............New Jersey................U guys suck!!!!!!!!!:mad:
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That all you have to say?...................:p

C' 2 don't have to be polite.........;)
  9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Anyways.....back to the topic. Thats why I dont take on the big commercial accounts.
    Give me the big $75- $100 accounts all day long.. Weather like this is a blessing, you just cut em alot more!!
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Just be happy you all are still mowing. We are into the 3 digit temps and the grass is burning so no income!! Ouch! Stop complaining about having too much to mow, I don't have enough!!