Getting better performance from your SWB

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Doc Pete, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

From much of email I receive guy’s are not fully aware of tire pressure setup for SWB’s. There is a definite purpose why I settled on the tire/rim combo that the SWB has.
    The old WB’s had a 10” rim and 18” tire, yielding a 4” sidewall. The SWB has an 8” rim and 20”, yielding a 6” sidewall. This computes into a 50% large sidewall than the standard WB. Also, this is the same width sidewall, that “Super Z’s” with a 12” rim and 24” tire have.
    Ok, so what??!! Well, now we know the SWB and most “Z riders” have the same sidewall. However, the SWB is approximately 700 lbs. while many big riders are 1,300 lbs and over, including the weight of the employee. What this all means is the SWB can and should run much less tire pressure than what guy’s are used to. And, when this is done the “original potential” of the SWB is realized, which is a better cut even at 10 mph.
    So, after 4 years of using SWB’s, I’ve found a good starting point for rear tire pressure is 8 lbs. Likewise, 9 lbs. is a good starting point for the front tires.
    I realize these may sound a bit low from what you are used to, but the SWB has very large tires/ large sidewall and a low overall weight.
    At the moment, I’m running 6 lbs. in my SWB and I’m 150 lbs. The guy’s are running 8 lbs. in their SWB and the heavier worker is 200 lbs. and likes to jumps curbs.
    Hope this helps,
    Pete
    More will continue to follow

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good information Pete.
    Thank you for your input and participation in this forum.

Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

PJ,
    I have to keep in mind I'm not the average LCO :dizzy: ,Yeah, I am a bit overboard. However, you have to remember, at 55, I need all the help I can get to compete with those young 20 year old LCO's. So, since my body is "over the hill", I have to use my "smarts" to stay ahead of them there youngins'.
    :D :D

4. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

Pete & PJ,
    Went to 7.5 lbs. in rear tires and 10 in the fronts of my SWB and it is like going from a 3/4 ton S-10 to a Cadillac. I'm 6' and 350 lbs. and look to make up more time on my mowing as the first deflation took 18 minutes off one job alone. The fronts were left a little higher due to the mounted weight. With just a little finessing I beleive I be getting a new machine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    The Hustler Ultimate Walk Behind !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks guys,
    Albert