Getting bids on an excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well I was pretty set on buying a new TK 153FR and I still may, I am trying not to burn any bridges. Having a bit of problem on price of said TK. I can get the same machine from Gravel Rat's backyard (Hammer equipment in Alberta) for 8,800 less than what I am being quoted here (yes that is US dollars). Without getting into it any deeper right now, I am exploring other options from other dealers. I want to be able to trade mine which limits me to the following options DEERE/Hitachi- They will get me a 50 in either color with counter weight and long reach, thumb, coupler, cab heat/AC for $58,600

CAT: Funny story here, I called them on Friday and the salesguy I asked if my ears were burning as I was his "project" for 2007. I told him what I needed. He is putting a price together on a 305C CR. He is actually coming up to Big Sky on Monday to look at the TK and buy lunch. He obviously has never had to buy a meal in Big Sky. He talks of great incentives and getting a great price if I will run a CAT. We'll see what that means I guess

The only other options are VOLVO which I have not talked to and Bobcat. The Bobcat and Deere guys are one in the same. I asked why they never optioned me a Bobcat excavator. They laughed. They have no problems with Deere/Hitachi machine and apparantly enough problems with the Bobcat that why did not even want to price one to me. Interesting I thought.

The price on new TK 153FR with nothing but a bucket, cab with heat and ac is $58400.00

The Deere seems like a good deal. The problem is they spec poorly against the TK. They have roughly a third of the bucket breakout and arm crowd forces. They are lighter even with counter weight. Not built as HD as TK and our mini gets a workout. I question the strength and power of the Deere/Hitachi. The CAT specs very close to the TK except that I have to get a long arm to match the dig depth. I doubt his price will be in the ball park. Anyone run a Volvo in the 10-14K weight class?

Anyone have any thoughts

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

What does Kobelco offer in your area? Good machines. They hold up VERY well in our rental fleet.

3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Ksss
    Don't forget to demo ,altho i know the weather is a problem.I realize price and making a trade will have a lot to do with how things turn out.

As far as machines i haven't run a TK but have run a Deere and Cat,i'm sure you have reseached most everything.So my news probably will be old hum.

Any way i run Deere this summer i was working dirt mostly ,but did dig a stump or two out and Deere performed good(this machine didn't have the long stick tho.),plus it has the yamar engine like your TK so that is a plus(cold starts).The one thing i noticed was when you swing the house that it was fast ,but would over swing because of the speed .

It would make a funny sound when you came to a stop when swinging fast as it would go.Sounded like it had a brake to stop it???? I liked the auto 2 speed with the manual switch to lock it in low for hard turns and steep hills.Little weak in the hill climbing that i did it seemed. Also liked the auto idle !!!! resumed when you moved the handles.

The price they gave sounds good.I priced one and it was a right there with yours ,set up the same ,but with radio.

As far as Cat i did like smoother hydraulics,stopped right where i wanted it too on a fast swing close too the same swing speed,Deere maybe a little faster,but not enough to tell tho.Add the over swing of the Deere and speed didn't count as much.

Lots of smooth feel when i was dugging.Excellent to grade the trench with.More power when coming to climbing.Motor seem to run a higher rpm ,but with less noise.The Cat was 303cr and the Deere was 35d.Not as big as your looking at,but something to think about,but don't forget now to DEMO!!!!!!! (Smiley)Good Luck

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would definetly demo the machine before buying. I just wanted to see where the prices fell before wasting time running a machine I wouldn't buy anyway.

Kobelco is the same as CASE and it is an option. It specs very close to the Deere and is built much the same way. I really don't think either machine is quite heavy enough. CASE does not have a 50 in stock. I would have to go to Salt Lake to run a long arm Deere 50. They have one in Hitachi yellow.

I wish there was more options in the area between 10K and 16K.

5. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Cat is the main one probably with the most machines sizes in between 10k and 16k looks like to me.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I just got done looking on the Volvo website. Their machine weighs in the same area as the TK but again the bucket breakout is about the same as Hitachi. The arm crowd force is good on the Volvo. I speced a machine on the site and it MSRPed at 72K! That is a lot money for a 12K machine. It will be interesting to see what real money is. Suposedly they will contact me. I have had zero contact with the local Volvo dealer.

7. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

The deere's are very well layed out, I'm running a deere 35D long arm and they are a nice machine. I tilted the cab tonight to see how hard it is and access to stuff and it took me less than 10 minutes to tilt the cab and the access is great.weldco-beales make a nice pro link thumb for the deere 50 size.

minimax

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Yur right, not alot of options in that weight area. Cat seems to have it, IF the price is right. All are damn good machines. Komatsu maybe?? Havent looked.

9. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Minimax
    Do you notice the over swing and sounds i mentioned.I realize running the machine longer you would tend not to do as much over swinging.They do swing fast tho.

What do you think about when you use the boom like a backhoe left to right, swing the boom not the house.I thought it was really slow ,but maybe all minis are when you use them like that.I wasn't long getting back to using the house swing !!!!!!! Lots of room where i was working.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered Kubota? How close does the KX161 spec to your TK?