1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting by w/backpack

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Buying a 200 gallon skid, but was wondering how some guys are saving big and just getting by with a back pack. Seems like a lot more labor intensive.
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

That is my plan... but I am a solo LCO, so I only apply maybe ten days out of the year, and my properties are small... 2 to 4k turf. I also use granular when I can, but not for broadleaf, nutsedge, etc.

On a sort of side note, this was one of the things in my business plan from the beginning. Small residentials only, all within a couple of miles from my own home. So far, it's going well. Just signed another customer today.... and ordered my first WB mower... a Quick 32. Big day for Whitey!

Every piece of equipment I buy is based on this target market. Lesco carries a nice 4 gallon BP sprayer, swiss outfit, Blichmiene or something like that. Pricey at around $300, but perfect for my operation. Fully adjustable nozzle, several spray patterns. As far as I can tell, best BP sprayer out there.
  3. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Guess I can see you point. I have around 60 clients for mowing hopefully signing aound 20 more. 52 inch zero tun and 36 inch walk behind. Im only have fert programs fo about 15 of my clients but yards average around 7000 sq. ft. Using a backpack would mean to many refills for me plus I plan on expanding in the future. Can see your coming from though.