Getting Certified in Maryland

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BigEd, Sep 14, 2009.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Is there anyway around having the two years exp. or a college degree? I thought of taking the test in PA which is a bordering state that I have a little work in. That should qualify to take the test in Maryland the following year. Any thoughts?

2. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there is. I called the dept of ag a couple years back and they basically said what you just did. I can't take the classes because of work. I had thought about trying to lie and pay someone to register me as there employee an not work for them but i don't think anyone would risk loosing there license over it. And it will be hard to get anyone to help you because you will be becoming there competition

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I would think that performing chemical work in 2 states would require licenses in each state. I know of companies in Memphis TN that are required to have an Arkansas license to cross the Mississippi and do work in West Memphis AR. Sounds like a good way to get your foot in the door to me though. I'd check with Maryland to get specifics on just what is required and whether license/experience in neighboring state qualifies you to pursue a license in Maryland.

4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

If you can take and pass Pa. test Maryland has resproscity.
    I think Pa. has the same minimum requirements though.

5. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

In PA you just pay and take the test. So if I get a license in PA Maryland will then give me a license, correct?

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

No. It's more than just pay to get the license.
    You still have core training and catagories testing for the various types of licenses.
    Maryland & Pa. and for that matter many states recognize other states licenses and will accept you as qualified for their license.

I do not know if Pa. has lower qualifications for experience.