1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting clients to sign

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

What is the right thing to do when you get a client who wants you to do services.

Say lawn cutting what would you give to them on paper to sign to bind them into a contract?

Install jobs what would you have them sign and what would it look like

Thanks hope you guys can help
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

What do you want to sell? Maintenance, landscape or hardscape. You have to know your limits and be confident.
  3. Slcareco

Im looking to take it all on but i want to protect myself
  4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I like to do it all too but most of what I do revolves around mowing services. I do fertilization and Irrigation so I can provide full service.

Yes, we will do a little stone work but I am not going into hardscape.

If you are comfortable supervising that kind of work then what you really need is a qualified sales person.
  5. Slcareco

my question has to do with forms and what they would look like. Forms to protect me and have them sign an agreement to the work
  6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

First of all you need to know the local laws. :weightlifter:

If you want to ask me about Texas then maybe I will show you what I spend many $ to get a lawyer to draft.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Just put on paper whatever your terms and prices are...you're not selling real estate you don't need 150 pages to sign and initial :laugh:

For mowing, you're not talking a lot of money, not likely you'll let a customer fall $2,000 in arrears...if you're doing big-dollar installs I'd check with a lawyer just to make sure everything is kosher...
  8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

For mowing, I have them sign an Agreement....I try to stay away from the word contract.....and I just tell them that, this will give them peace of mind of not having to worry about their lawn and landscape for the year. I give them a calendar of their service schedule, and tell them if they have any questions are concerns, heres my wireless number, call me direct and I will make sure its taken care of.....If they try to object for any reason, I tell them that its my policy to have all my customer sign the agreement to acknowledge they understand the program and all thats involved.....I make them aware of our cancellation process, (all the while smiling) and tell them but if for any reason they are unhappy with our craftsmanship, if they let me know I will be more then happy to work out something to end the agreement so there are no hard feelings.....usually works well.....I am never worried about someone being unhappy, thats a easy fix, I have them sign the agreement just in-case they dont pay, etc.....
    As Far as Landscape Proposals, I just use the Generic forms from Office depot....It has a General Provisions page on the back of the customers copy and given to them with the warranty period and coverage.....Below is a copy of one of my bigger landscape jobs of 06....Covered signatures and the address because this guy is a famous Rapper from Atlanta and dont wont to lose this one.....Been trying to get a pic release formed signed, but He wont allow me to post any pics on any web-site as of right now, but in talks with him so that I can use his home as my back drop for my web-site coming in 2/07 and on my new fliers for 07.....But you just want to make sure you have something in writing for anything you do, because there is always that one thats going to try and get over....thats the reason I went to all signed agreements for all work....

Picture 035.jpg
  9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is me too .... on lawn care and landscape maintenance, I call it a "Service Agreement" and not a contract.

It if is a one-time, large job ... I may call it a contract ... but I do very, very little of those right now. My business is mostly based on maintenance services.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a detailed contract will allow you to keep your proeperties looking good without having to get everything "approved" first. Here's a copy of our contract. I'm not concerned with the "service agreement" terms, but it does help sometimes. Good customers don't mind signing a contract. Most of them have contracts they sign at work on a daily basis. We're "contractors" and they know it.

Attached Files: