getting comercial acounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gmcplowtruck, Feb 15, 2007.

1. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i've beenin the buisness 7 years now and have a few commercial acounts and the majority of them are residential i would like to get more commercial accounts how do you guys get commercial acounts do you walk in interduce yourself and see if you can put an estimate in or what please let me know how you guys go about getting commercial acounts and do you sign contracts if so do you have examples of some contracts for both lawn care/landscaping and snowplowing/salting

hope to get your opinions
  2. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I pretty much just walk in or call and ask if they are taking bids for the upcoming season. I have done several housing authorities and they usually take bids every year.

Good luck!
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I'm actually trying to get out of commercial and back into residential 100%. Everyone seems to think that commercial accounts are the bread and butter of the business but what most don't understand is there is no loyalty with the commercial accounts.

Each year the commercial company will be looking for the next lowest bidder to take the job over and if the new bid beats yours by a few bucks say goodbye to the account. Loose several good size accounts in one year and you may not be able to bounce back from the loss of income.

No matter how good of a job you perform for the commercial company it's still a business and money talks. How often have you ever heard of a LCO winning a bid over a previous LCO for more money. Not saying it never happens but lets just say it's rare.

To answer your original question, I would usually send out letters at the first of the year to local businesses that I was interested in servicing.