Getting Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

When it comes to picking up commercial accounts, what is the best approach? A personal visit? A well written letter sent to their place of business? Any feedback on what type of commercial accounts are best to have? Ones to watch out for? Are commercial accounts normally more competitve price wise than residentials? Are they normally bid on annually, or does it just depend? Lots of questions I know...just looking for some feedback.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

It's easy for someone to say no if you send them a letter (aka throw it in the trash). Go in person, or if it's a type of business that has a property manager, set up an appointment before you arrive).

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just knock on the door, as for the owner or business / property manager and say you'd like to talk to someone about placing a bid on the property.

If it's a secretary that you come across, or someone that's not the owner, alot of times you'll hear, "we already do it ourselves" or "we've already got someone". At that point you have to decide to come back later and see if someone else can help you, or say, that's fine, but I'd still like to put in a bid if at all possible.

4. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have found that with residentials, word of mouth is where I get 90% of my new customers. Does the same hold true for commercial accounts? Once you get a couple, does it grow from there, or do you have to chase down every new account personally?

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on your clients. Around here, quite a few commercial properties are owned by a few people, or they've got connections to each other. If you're going to different gas stations owned by different companies, they're not going to talk between each other as much as... the same company that has 3-4 locations in your area, obviously.

I've buddied up with some contractors in the area over the years that build alot of the commercial properties around here, and my name gets passed around since people see how nice the contractor's yards are.

It's taken 10+ years to get to the point where I can pick and choose the exact accounts I want year after year. I did alot of hoofing and begging sometimes to get certain accounts at the money I wanted.

I haven't had a phone number on my trailer or in the phone book / paper for 5 years now and people still track me down, guess it's all word of mouth now.