Getting Commercial Attention

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by esshaki, Jan 4, 2006.

1. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

This season i will be trying to tackle some commercial properties in my area for mowings, and i was wondering when talking to these property/facility managers whats are good thigns to say to get your voice heard.. ill be starting the cold calling soon leaving voicemails giving my company name, my name, some brief information, purpose of the call, and a number to reach me back at. I have it like all planned out but i know going after commercial is harder then it seems. should i ask for a request to bid the property. and do any commercial properies supply a list of what they want done? thanks

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Do your cold calling in person, when at all possible, you may have to go back several times to each account.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT call them on their phone and ESPECIALLY do not leave a voicemail. I would frown heavily on being "phone solicited" in the first place, but then you're going to waste my time and my voicemail fee for phone soliciting? I think not! Just find out who's in charge of the building, and type up a proposal with a nice cover letter, and send it out. No bother...no inconvenience to them. If you would like any assistance with this, just let me know, and you can feel free to call me. I will be happy to explain how we do it and land about any place we want. I can give you some advice on some nice professional letters, to.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I done alot of that, contacting the property manger, and walking in. I've only landed one Commercial this way. I have come to the conclusion that for the most part if they want you they will find you. This means bigger yellow page listings and Ad's, and some direct mail. The phone book is the first place they look if there is no other source of finding a landscaper.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have come the conclusion that commercial accounts just kind of "happen" All my commercial accounts have either come from referals, I knew somebody thus giving me an "in", or I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I would frown on someone walking into my building and soliting me rather then a quick phone call. Cold calling works, you immediately get to talk to the person who is in charge of getting the bids and proposals for the grounds work. More then likely they have a bid packet ready to go, I'll usually pick up the packet in person rather then have them fax it. Picking up in person allows you to make a quick good impression and ask any questions you might have about the property while you are there on sight. We do a alot of commercial work and cold calling gives us our best results. Sending a company info about your buisness will rarely fall into the right hands.

7. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

i was really wondering about these bid packets as far as what type of information is in the bid, and what service are exactly requested, i would really like to see a sample bid for your average small-medium property
    (example a Bank or Office Buidling with less then 1acre to cut).

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

A bid packet is nothing more then an outline of what they want you bid and general bidding requirements or guidelines. Think of it as you requesting a bid from someone, you write down everything you want done and a price for each service and handing it the bidder.

9. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

gotcha thanks, i know i can meet the requirements that these places look for now i just need to get a few commercial properties. Thanks for the help. I have a nice route for residential customer lined up for the 06 season but i would really like to add about 10 commercial account.

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

'round here they dont know what a bid packet is. i usually call a person and find out what there needs are . then i fax my info over and set a time to meet with them . and boom its all done .i do 85% of my scouting in nov and dec . then 90% of my bids come due in jan and feb .