Getting Commercial Bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I recently started a Lawn Business just 5 months ago, I was very fortunate to have my lawn equipment handed to me, I have 1 Torro 52 inch 0 turn Rider and 3 torro Push mowers not walk behinds but just regular self propelled mowers plus all the Stihl attachments and weedwackers and blowers, pretty much the whole 9 yards, my ? is should I focus on residential or on commercial, I have strong sales expoerience. Also 1 more ? is I went to an apt complex spoke with the manager and found out that they pay over $1,000.00 a month to have lawn maintenance at the property, i gave her a packet with my info and even pictures of all of my equipment and told her that my company could do it for $700.00 a month, I called back a few days later and now I am getting the feeling that I am getting blown off, why is my ?, why would I offer someone a 3-400 dollar price cut and get blown off, this is like the second or third time that i have offered a commercial place a 2-400 dollar price cut and then followed up and followed up and not recieved any feedback or their business, it just blows my mind that I have all the right equipment and even a proffesional appearance and not recieved their business. I will gladly take any posts ---also check my website out www.firstclasslawninc.com----Thank You

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did you come up with those prices. one 52 inch z turn may not be all the right equipment. Appearance is a must. Continue to follow up though, that is the best thing you can do. And if the lady says she doesnt want to go with you call her out on it, and ask why? Ask everyone who turns you down why, and make it better. Keep it up.

3. Its not always price, Its not what you know but who you know.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's hardly ever the price. If it is, you don't want that customer anyways. You say you're going to save them $300 / month, then next year someone comes back and says they'll save them another $200 and you're out the door, looking for more accounts. I know I've lost bids back in the day when I just started out, because people said I was too cheap and figured I'd just leave after doing half the year cause I wasn't making any money.

What you need to ask is if the people are happy with their current maintenance company, and if they're not, ask them why not and stress to them how you can change those problems for them.

5. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

If the complex is paying $1k/month they must feel comfortable with the price. You probably haven't heard back from them because they are most likely under contract Don't try to start your business by going around undercutting everyone else. If you continue to do that you will make a lot of enemies and be known around town as the new scrub.
    Also, your website will not show.

6. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I just quit the grass business because of undercutters. Please do not do anything contruction related.

Chuck

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I just quit the grass business because of undercutters. Please do not do anything contruction related. How can you under bid someone buy 30% and expect the customer to consider you a professional...sounds like just anotehr low baller to me, and is probably why they have not returned yur calls....did you even take any measurements or walk the propertys before you quoted that number? And were you planning on takinbg care of teh whole complex yurself? or maybe you were goin to have a few employees that you might have to actually put on a payroll.....

Chuck

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial customers are different than a home owner. Most want some experienced contractors. They probably felt the job was to large for you to handle.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That big of a price difference will put up red flags with commercial clients. They are looking for quality, not just price. They want a well established company that has a reputation of doing quality work. You can not go in saying you can do it for X amount of dollars less and expect to be taken seriously. As a new LCO in the area you are going to have a hard time getting any quality commercial accounts until you have built yourself a reputation.

Did your package include proof of wokman's comp. and general liability insurance and copies of any and all required license? Are you a certified chemical applicator? Commercial clients are gonna want proof of these. They are not interested in pictures of your equipment.

10. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Commercial co's arent allways after the cheepest wh#*e on the market. (Some are) It takes more than a loball bid to get an account. Most places want one million in liability and workers comp. is a must. With that said I feel your pain. When I started six years ago I was also in your shoes. Their is no doubt in my mind that everyone has lo-balled to get an account. Most people are allways learey of such an extreme price diff. If you have a few good accounts ask them if you can use them as refrences. Try smaller than 1K a month accounts. Send out all kinds of bids. The more you send out the more return you will see. Once your get a few comercial accounts your in. You can use them for refrences. If your a one man crew that can present a problem. In their eyes what if you get sick. They might of delt with someone in the past who was a smaller service and they could of been left high and dry. What if your equipment brakes. Do you have a dealer that can offer you a loner. If so let them know that. We are getting kind of late to get new accounts most comercial co's are probally tied up allready. Good Luck