1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Commercial business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by greenworks, Dec 23, 2002.

1. greenworks

greenworks LawnSite Member

I've had a fairly good amount of success with residental landscape customers (about 95% of my business). I'd like to know if anyone has some ideas as to how you go about landing some bigger, commercial customers. I've thought of sending out letters introducing my Co. and then following up with a phone call within 10 days. I just really don't know where to start. All of my residential is built on referrals from existing customers. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate the advice.
  2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound like a good Idea.

Do you have the lawnsite templates for business?

When I first bough'em I tought they were a waste of money but after I used couple and saw the results they're pretty good investment, I think they cost $25.00 I've landed only 2 jobs with those letter but the profit from both were enought to justify the price.

One thing with commercial customers is that they usually switch lco's every season, they're always looking for the best price, try to get the ones that care about their properties they are the ones that are usually more loyal, get to know the manager and stablish a good relationship, don't just know his name but get to know the names of his or her family, at the same time he has to know all about you that helps when he or she has to make a decission about switching companys.

One time one of the manager told me that her boss wanted to get 3 proposals for that year because of new budget, so I ask 2 other companys, (friend's of mine of couse) to submitt a proposal a little bit higher than mine they did and I got the place for 3 more years.

other thing to watch out for commercial accounts is they're usually slow on paying.
  3. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

suggest you start with small commercials such as restaurants, banks, offices, etc to get a better feel of that market.....it's entirely different than resi's......the marketing approach, estimating, budgeting, decisionmakers, etc are all unique to the commercial marketplace as well as the selling process, agreements, etc. Just an awful lot to know when doing commercial so you don't get burned......which you may if you are not knowledgeable or short on capital.

Best advice, don't rush it........ease into it!!