Getting Commercial Contracts / How's the sales cycle?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenscapesG, Feb 26, 2014.

?

How do you try to sell your lawn care business?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2014.
  1. Walk ins (Cold Call)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Calling (Cold Call)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Emailing (To make a appointment)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Joining a chamber

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. GreenscapesG

GreenscapesG LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hello Dear LawnSite members!

I have a full service landscape company that started 5 years ago and I have only done residential customers. I've been knocking on doors in Malls, HOAs and Property Management companies for about 3 months and only have a few interests, but nothing solid yet.

How long is the sales cycle? What should I expect the sales process to be like?

Thanks!

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Some contracts (like HOAs) will go out to bid every year....it's a bad policy but some management styles think it's good.
    Much more common is a 3-5 year contract.

Property management companies tend to have a few puppies they work with and do not generally open up to "ALL Bidders"
    the places they work for expect to see three bids...so they usually keep around three puppies.
    nationals are usually open to all qualifying bidders and more likely to go out to bid every year.

Bidding occurs either late fall or late winter-early spring depending on if the contract begins with spring clean up, or with snow plowing.... In your area late winter - early spring (now) is going to be more common...since snow isnt a concern