Getting Commercial Contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Jan 18, 2008.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I am intrested in what is the best way to aquire new commercial business. I am talking about commercial and industrial centers, apartments, condos, banks, reasturants, homeowner assoc., shopping malls and industrial centers.

PLEASE ANY INPUT IS GOOD INPUT!

2. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Join your chamber of commerce, bni groups that have property managers.

3. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

In my area most places like that are on multi-year contracts. When the contracts are up for bid they print them in our local paper. This helps get a good idea of what is out there, before you waste time calling or physically going to the businesses themselves. I'm not saying that they all put adds in the paper, however you may get lucky and score a big one.

4. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

This is what has worked for me. I had 3 of my biggest commercial accounts (1 is 20 acres) write me a letter of reference. I go through the yellow pages and pull out the info on the businesses that I am interested in and I write a brief intro letter requesting an opportunity to bid on their property and attach the letters of reference. I also include photos of my trailer & equipment (shows that I can handle their property. I mail these out. I just started doing this at the beginning of the year. I have given two commercial bids this week. One is an HOA that is paying their current LCO $11,500 yearly and the other is about $27,000 yearly.

5. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

That's a good idea as well. You could also use that same approach and even if they are under contract right now, chances are in 2 or 3 years they will be up for bid again. This way you can get on the list to send bid packets to when it happens.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow page ads worked for me, always had some business, or HOA calling. I would also send letters to places that I really wanted. Some places I used to just walk in and ask for the property manager or maintenance director.