Getting commercial contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MIKEJ, Feb 14, 2003.

1. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

I have about 30 residential accounts now but do not have any commercial accounts. Most of my advertising is done in local papers and the yellow pages but I still dont seem to get any calls from commercial properties. I want to be more aggresive but dont know where to start. I thought of selecting a few properties and mailing them a letter offering my services and enclosing a business card. Still I feel there is a better way. How do you guys land commercial properties ? Thanks for your ideas.:dizzy:
  2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

My ads in the local papers get some commercial contracts. But i have dressed up nice and go out into commercial parks and hand out flyers. But in a way iam still in the same boat as you with better ideas that may work?
  3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn and Landscape Magazine had a great article on D. Foley Landscaping and commercial work. Good Read.

Good Luck.
  4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

You say you have 30 residential accts. I would start there.
  5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Sign up to associations for Apartments Condos Real Estate, Property etc. In my area they have associations this is when you network. You sign up with them and spend a small free you will get your name out to them. Just make sure once you enter that market you increase your insurance. Travis
  6. LandworksEnterprises

LandworksEnterprises LawnSite Member

Hey there, with my commercial accounts I simply go out and talk to the businesses. Right around now is when I get the best results. Even if they already have a contract, I always convince them to let me give them a bid on it. It only takes a few minutes and when all is said and done, there is a good chance that you could get a new account. It's all in how you treat them. I just make them feel like they're already a customer. I had one business that had me come out like 10 times and bid different items before they started considering me, now I have their business and another 70k a year. It takes a little time, but you can get a contract. Work the business and the business will work, that's how I feel about it. Good Luck!

Nick Holbrook
    Landworks Enterprises
    Cleveland/Chattanooga, TN
    (423) 728-0635
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

We have a winner folks. Sounds like a great idea to me.