getting customers in a flooded area

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blake1012, Feb 4, 2009.

1. blake1012

blake1012 LawnSite Member

Hello all.

I have been doing lawn care a couple years part time, just a handful of clients.

I really want to expand this year, and have moved recently to a new town.

I live about 15-20 min north of atlanta, ga . A **** ton of people and sub divisions around here. and alot of wealthy people.

My question is this----- How do you compete when there are such a high number of lawn care companies out there???????

I have ordered some postcards, and more to come. But what is the key in gaining accounts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

There is never enough lawn companies to take care of everyone's needs. This is especially true in larger metropolitan areas.

If you are presenting yourself to customers via postcards, the key is to give them a professional appearance. First impressions have always been said to be important. Keep your post cards short and sweet. You dont need to list everything you do in detail. Your company name, bullet point list of services, contact information, a call-to-action ("Call today!"), maybe a "motto", and possibly a coupon to give incentive to give you a call.

You should do well if you are servicing a metropolitan area. Business comes quick.

Definitely look into getting a website and advertising online. Works pretty well in larger cities.

Ryan

3. blake1012

^^^ Thanks alot. I am in the process of setting up a website right now.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think the key is customer retention. Obviously I understand that you need to get customers first. But once you get them do anything to set yourself apart from the competition. Than once they see that you keep them happy, they will refer you to their friends, family, and neighbors. I also live in a very flooded market and think that this is the best advice that I can give.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

just low ball them like i do.

6. blake1012

lol....whatever works, huh?

as long as its still profitable to one's own company, is it considered low balling?????

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if your price is less then mine your a lowballer.

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

*trucewhiteflag*
    I have really been thinking about this approach in an odd sort of way. Every spring I see tons of ads in our Nickel paper. Lowest prices in town,...hard working starving college kids who work for cheap. I'm a kid with a wagon and mower help me pay for college and space camp...etc.

.....then you show up and bid normal prices. People think they're getting a bargain and sign up. :laugh:

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WELL DUHHHHH!!!!!!

when I read your post I thought it was about a flodded area as in water.

I read the replys and it still didn't make sense to me, so I was going to post

what does that have to do with a floded area..............

Ok the jokes on me............

I had a hard day to day guys.......

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think that is slightly misleading.