Getting customers on the hook for next year...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Aug 24, 2002.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

Being my first year, I am wondering when do you guys approach your clients for their business in 2003? Keep in mind that my residentials do not sign contracts....I know I know...:rolleyes:

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You get your clients "on the hook" forever by doing a class job this year, or really this mowing. After 23 years in the business, I still work on a jobsite like it is the only thing I have to do, until it is done. Doesn't matter if I'm 2 days behind because of rain or whatever, if I need an extra half hour at this site to make it look good, that's what must be done.

That way, the only time I'm stressed is in the truck, deciding which of the 2-day late jobs to do next, LOL.

And res do sign contracts, just like comm. Contract to me is not to lock them or me into anything. They are just to put an understanding in writing. I started contracts so if I croak suddenly, wife and dad can figure out what I had agreed with clients. Any good lawyer will tell you that a contract is just an agreement between parties, and if one or more of the parties wants to get out of the agreement, they can.

Quality and dependability gaurantee more work than any contract.

And on your sig line: it's "hemerrhoids". Walking or riding, if you've ever had them, they're a pain in the tail! :cry:

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

MJ...you ask a good question...aside from the quality issue which I try to do ...I have been thinking about when to nail down my good accounts for next....I have a few that are gold mines and yes they are very happy with me....but still....I want it nailed...yesI know the contract is just basically a piece of paper...but it does show that at least a gentlemens agreement has been reached...and most people I work with like to stand by their word...anyone use any little perks or incentives to get an early committment for next year?? we'd like like to hear how you do it...thanks

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Groundskprs answered this well. Not all residential customers want to sign a contract, but many of them will. Some of my favorite customers get a poinsetta from me with a wish for happy holidays and my wish for continuing my service with them. The poinsettas given early enough seem to remind them of me when Christmas bonus's are handed out. ;) Overall, Quality is the key to keeping customers. Good luck.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Very classy idea! I like it....for a couple of reasons..heh heh!

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Thanks. One other benefit: When family and friends visit the customer, sometimes they enquire about the poinsetta. This generates new leads. Plus, if records are kept properly, you deduct the expense of the poinsettas.

7. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I usally send a survey out when the end of mowing season is near. simple questions were you happy with the way you lawn looks, beds, and so forth. how did you rate our service. Whatever fits your business. suggetions to improve service. at the botom of the page is a box to check which says sign me up for next year and one that says don't sign me up. almost always people check sign me up. If they don't there is still a little time this season to identify the problem and fix it this fall. This has worked well for me to retain customers.
    Dennis

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We send out a newsletter the first part of February. In it, it states that service will continue automatically once the growing season begins. If they have any questions, they are instructed to call by March 1st. That way if we lost any, we know how many new openings we will have available.

Groundkprs (Jim): I'm going out on a limb here, but I still don't think that's spelled right. ;)
    Try hemorrhoids. It's not often, if ever, that I get to correct you. :)

9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

no matter how u spell it, they hurt the same way...........lol

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess I should proof read a little.

h e m o r r h o i d s, piles, PITA! LOL - not!!