Getting customers to pay by credit card

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grasshopperslawn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to get customers to pay by credit card so I can get my money quicker anybody have any I deas on how to do it. A lot of my customers are sayingthey would just rather give me a check every month.

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes 2-3 days after processing for you to get your money, and 3 or more percent are gone right off the top, plus the fees for having the service (minimums). You should think long and hard if the only reason is to get your money faster.

3. grasshopperslawn

Also for slow payers just gives them another option

4. grasshopperslawn

After I added the costs its almost the same as having to print and invoice stamp it and then the cost of the envelope.plus saves on ink from printer also about 56 cents per invoice.

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Attention customers. We have changed our payment system and now only accept credit cards.

Please fill out this form.

All forms not returned by xx/xx/xxxx will have their services terminated.

Thank you

6. grasshopperslawn

I am worried about loosing alot to other guys who don't offer credit cards
    a lot of people I talked to do not fell comfortable having recurring billing

7. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

Are you trying to get all customers to pay by credit card or just some? If you're worried about losing clients, then you'll have to sell them on the idea. There has to be a benefit (or even consequence) for people to willingly change.

I would recalculate your costs for a merchant account and make sure it is worth doing.

8. grasshopperslawn

it would be nice to have them all on credit and debit cards but I know that wont happen

9. Lawnboy70460

Lawnboy70460 LawnSite Member

Just an idea... I might be way off base but what about something like a pay pal account? Would that work? I don't know any of the expenses associated with pay pal but maybe an option if your customers would go for that.

10. grasshopperslawn

yeh I would need a web site to link it through though I might use quikbooks
    I would want all 200 of my clients on credit cards if I could