getting customers to pay faster

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

here's an idea, why not use door hanger envelopes with your address printed on them. after each service, put an invoice in the envelope, and hang it on the door. has anyone tried this? how did it work?
  2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

i have sent stamped adressed envolope with my bills late payer just are late payers i weed them out by the end of the season
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Just bill in advance for the upcoming months services. If they don't pay, then they don't get cut.
  4. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not in the lawn business, but we have an added % after 7 days without payment. This should be in your service agreement. Included should be you reserve the right to cancel the contract is not paid within 21-30 days (of course service would stop before that), but then you can cancel them first. There are certain things you, as a contractor, expect of a customer (pay on time, pick up toys on lawn before you come, give references for doing a good job) and vice versa (they expect you to show up to mow, do a good job and respond to their requests). So it's reasonable for you to get something back for late payments.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yes and also I to contaic the customer 3 X before I take to court for payment, I do and will put a lein against proptery
  6. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

our contract also includes that if we goto court, they are responsible for any and all court fees, lawyer fees, etc.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

When we were in the mowing business we had everyone on automatic credit card payment. We had a credit card on file and when we mowed the lawn, that evening the card got charged and we had our money within 24 hours.
  8. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Example: on a $30 yard-Prepay each month @ $120 or bill at end of month for $132 per cut. Give them an incentive to pay you before.

I offer 5-10% off entire season if they prepay before April 5th for the whole year. (depends on size of property and past history (referals etc))
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I did this when I first started. I didn't actually pay for the door hanger envelopes. I just printed envelopes on my printer with my address on them, and I would put the invoice in the addressed envelope and leave it in the door. I really didn't see any difference in getting the money faster. It does take away the excuse of " I lost your business card, and I couldn't find your address".
    Last season I gave most of my customers a magnetic business card. I think that has helped a lot. They now have all of my info on the fridge, so they don't misplace it.
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of putting the stamps on myself, don't work eh?

Well this year for sure, I'm going to bill on the first, due on the 15th. Anybody says anything I'm going to quote MMLawn, "first two weeks I trust you, the second two weeks you trust me".

Right now I'm billing in the last week of the month and I just hate going to the bank to deposite the last few straglers that are always late. In the summer it's not so bad because I do other services and get cheques all the time, but in the winter, Just today I cashed a cheque, one single check. The last person to pay me from Decembers snow clearing. And today I also dropped off her bill for January snow clearing:laugh: I thought if I put a stamp on these things maybe they would get out quicker.