1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BuzMoland, Aug 5, 2007.

1. BuzMoland

BuzMoland LawnSite Member

I just started my landscaping business this summer and i just do landscaping jobs. I'm not sure about cutting grass i didn't have the money to buy a zero turn mower. I spent alot of money on advertising what do you guys reccomend on the best way to get your name out there. And on the grass mowing do i need to start doing that? how do you estimate a yard someone told me a 1 a min? is that sound right?
  2. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

Thats what I go by as well. It wouldn't hurt you to try and get a mower going then when you are busy enough you can hire people to mow while you do the other jobs.
  3. DPAT

DPAT LawnSite Member

Man I Started With A 21 Inch Push Mower Weedeater And Push Broom. So Start Small And Grow But If You Can Use A Zero Turn Buy Iut But If Not Do Not Buy One Yet Just Wait
  4. weathervane

weathervane LawnSite Member
    from mass

start small and waite. no need to spend alot of money at first
  5. Naples

Naples LawnSite Member

BuzzMoland I started poking around this site like 2 days ago because doc says I gotta slow down, getting over a severe case of Pneumonia. Go figure I live Naples Fla never gets cold and I got Pneumonia. Anyway I got credentials out the wazoo but I sold the business over 13 yrs ago when my brother / partner died in an accident which we started sometime in 1969. Do to personnel reason I never wanted to see another landscaper grass cutter tree trimmer AND I REALLY DIDN'T want to see another snowflake EVER so I MOVED to Naples, Sorry about running on let me get to your question.
    The most important thing you need to know is MAKE your WORD and reputation mean EVERYTHING, If you say you are going to start a project on a certain date YOU Start it. No matter how little a job is treat it and the customer like a million bucks. If there is a problem you fix it today no matter how small. If it's your fault ADMIT it to your customer, always pay your suppliers or call them and tell them why you can't AND rule number 1 ALWAYS ALWAYS PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES FIRST AND THEN the IRS. Your best form of advertising is a HAPPY CUSTOMER
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i think most all of our "side work" other than mowing come from 90% of our mowing customers, so it will be hard to find the work without mowing. you might want to call around to local Landscapers and ask them if they are full and if they are willing to give your name out to new people calling. around here most are full and not accepting new customers. i love having names to give out when people call if im not able to handle the workload
  7. WeedGal

WeedGal LawnSite Member

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree with Darieck