Getting Debris out of a driveway?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmow, May 26, 2003.

1. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

A customer asked me to remove some debris from his driveway. I said I would come take a look and went to his house. This wasn't just a pile of debris-- it was 2 yards of debris and 12 yards of mulch that he had removed from his landscaping when installing red stone. He wants me to take the debris to the dump, and wants all the 12 yards of mulch (tainted with grass and such as it is) to a neighbors house down the street. I have a 1990 gmc sierra-- 8 ft bed. I am figuring 2 trips to the dump and I am figuring a good 6 trips back and forth to his neighbor about 1/3 a mile away. This is a bullSH!T job, but I need a job to fill a day. So I tell him I'll do it for $200-- He thinks this is high, but I figure it'll be about 5 hours of work or more (driving, loading, unloading, dumping) for me and a worker. Anyone else deal with this kind of **** work? Who else would do it? Is that price too high?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats a lot of shovel work to move 12 yards of mulch. $200 sounds like a little cheap, unless you've got a machine with a bucket, then you should be charging him for machine time as well.

Got any friends with a dump truck and a front end loader?

3. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

No friend with a machine. Me and my coworker are both 20-- I swear we aren't scrubs-- I don't undercut on mowing jobs or mulch- anyway, back to the point, we are both 20 and still have it in us to muscle the stuff up. In fact, I sort of like doing it. Haha, it makes me feel like a toughguy. I thought it was low too, I just get nervous about bidding a job sometimes. Inexperience I suppose. I figure it'd be decent for 5 hours work and probably no one else would bid under. Which brings me back to-- Who else would do this?

4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

You need to get that $200.00 + The amount you will spend at the land fill. IMO I do a lot of clean-ups for builders and nobody wants to pay what it is worth. I get $150.00 for a final on a new house. Most of it is burnable so I don't have a dump fee. If I have to dump it's $250.00. Thats a load price I am talking about. I have a C65 single axle truck I use with a twelve foot bed and two side boards. If that helps any.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would do it. I don't mind work like that. However if I had to move 14 yards of **** I would call up a friend to come over with his triaxle and his backhoe. Get a lot more than you are getting, and do the work in 2 trips.

6. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a friend with a single axle dump truck who does some hauling from time to time. He has learned (on more than one occasion) the hard way to charge x amount of dollars for whatever the job is PLUS ANY DISPOSAL FEES INCURRED. Many times he's gone back to find the pile of debris has mysteriously grown or has concrete or other items that the dump charges extra to dispose of.

7. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

I don't have access to the big stuff to move a lot at once. Actually, the lawnguys in this area seem to dislike a cleancut college guy doing this kind of work. Once again, I am not even stealing jobs. I just have enough to pay for school. If some of them were friendlier to me I might be able to get the hook up, until then, I must do a lot of gruntwork.

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Stand on your price, PLUS dump fees. Ask him to shop around for prices and call you back when he's ready. He'll most likely accept your bid on the spot.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If that had been me that called you I would have been all over your offer of $200.00. That is a ton of work for a little money. As previously pointed out you need to consider dumping fees.

Gravely_Man

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Even if you were doing it by YOURSELF, you would still need to add dump fees on to that $200.

BUT, if you are going to have a helper with you, you need to double your price (plus dump fees).

Otherwise your getting LESS then $20 per MAN hour (after dump fees), at the price you gave him.