Getting dirt and gravel out of grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Mar 28, 2003.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

In your EXPERIENCE, not guesses, which is better to get dirt/gravel out of a grassy area, such as from sanding the roads. 1) A rubber flap type
    2) A plastic bristle type

I dont know what they call these, but you know, they are powered by the split drive echo or stihl, or whatever brand you choose. The rotary brushes? Is that what they are called? Either way, which works better? Thanks

2. gvlawncare

gvlawncare LawnSite Member

rubber flap works really well

3. micromike

micromike LawnSite Member
    from SW/PA

City Street Dept. uses the rubber flap type. Watched them do several yards (grass) this week and was amazed at how well it worked. FWIF. I've never seen the bristle type in action.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Shindiawa Power Broom w/ the rubber paddles. They work excellent for that type of clean-up. :) ;) :) ED

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 of them...they are awesome. They're great at getting any kind of dirt or gravel out of a lawn. And they don't damage the turf like a steel rake might.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I use the bristled type (Echo SB) and it works for me. Haven't had the pleasure of using or demoing a paddle system.
    BobR

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, great lawnsite help once again... Rubber it will be. Now, does anybody know a nursery that sells money trees really cheap? I need about $500 to get me one of these :) :) :)

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Have used a Shin power broom (paddle type) for years. Cleans gravel and dirt from lawns with hardly any tearing of turf - UNLESS TURF IS WEAKLY ROOTED (very shady areas). Also use it after major tree work on a property. It will remove the heavy sawdust and wood chips and twigs. Also is great for moving very wet snow from pavement - the kind that slips off a shovel and plugs a snowblower. Main reason I got mine was for the snow. Also lots of power brooms used in factory settings where water must often be removed from floors - it's a powered squeegee.

Probably most time on it is springtime cleaning of turf areas near roadways, like you need.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A power broom with a rubber paddle work great for small areas. You need a Sweepster power brush with a 36" brush for areas of any size.

Gene

10. If you want to dethatch too, use the bristal powerbroom.

Rubber works great for what you described.