Getting discouraged!!! :(

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well.... I lost 5 clients this past two weeks... all of them but one said it was because they just don't see the need to continue service during this time of year and would rather save the money, I told all of them to just contact me when the season starts again to pick them back up..but man...this is hurting and becoming very discouraging!! This is my 1st year and to lose 5 like that, hurts not only financially but.... don't know, just feeling crappy now!! Someone help pick up my spirits please!!! What can i do?? :cry: :cry:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Have all your clients on yearly contracts to even everything out for the slow periods.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That's one of the bad things of having a "season" ... and a "kind-a-season" like you have in Florida. Here in Indy .... we have a season ... and then it is over!

4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone one of them are on yearly agreements, but this still doesn't stop em... in my agreements all they need to give me is a 30 day notice to stop service...

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We start mid march to first of December,how many cuts are you getting a year are you cutting two weeks this time of year if they have quit i thought grass still grows in the south.

6. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been without income for almost 2 months. More like 6 weeks, But that is why I try to save a little extra. Snow tommarrow so in comes the money! If not there will be snow next week. . .

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

They will probably call back, Spring=80 degrees=calls=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Plan ahead next year for a slow-down in late fall so it doesn't bother you when it happens.....

9. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a pressure cleaner. There's enough humidity down there to keep the mold and mildew growing. Do general yard cleanups/trash removal. It could be worse. Right now, it's about 10 degrees and no snow to plow, but we don't have any snowbirds here:canadaflag: Just a little friendly jab at our neighbors to the north. You might have to get creative to make ends meet. Good Luck. I'll need some too.

10. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Poncho,
    Next year try offering mulch, weeding and general clean-up. The key is to prepare, diversify and market yourself during a down turn. I just started the lawn care business p/t and have 20 lawns. While I do not cut them every week. I did up a short letter and sent it out with my billings. I offered, pressure cleaning, weeding, replace (small areas) of grass and some general clean-up. It is the Holiday's and most people want not only there lawn looking good but there house and surrounding area as well.

Hope this helps

DJ-