1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting dry here.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Jun 30, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I took this picture of the pool across the street from my house. It hasn't rained here for three weeks, been in the 90's for about a week now, next chance of rain....next Saturday. How is it going for you guys in NC, as well as the whole country?

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Rained for 6 consecutive days here, now, like you it is in the 90's and windy. The grass is getting dry, slight chance of rain the next few days, but should have a full schedule this week.

I wouldn't mind a week off.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

very little drought relief here. i understand some in the area gettin some pretty fair rains. wonder how much im gonna have to put in the plate.
    that 2 dollars didnt do much.:)
  4. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

We finally got our first rains since March here on last Wed.,Thurs.,& Fri.. I got a total of about 5" but it all came in 3 big storms, so most of it ran off. But we'll take what we can get. It seems like all of the landscape related businesses around here are hurting too, some equip. companies laying off help, and nurseries closing early every day. I think all of the towns & cities around here are now on water restrictions.
    On the positive side,this drought will sure weed out alot of the fly-by-nighters around here, so when things do start to look better there will be a little less compitition.
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in the West things are dry. Words like "critical, extreme, worst in decades, worst EVER" are being used to describe the drought. Here at my place I have WEEDS that are dying, that is how dry things are. Many cities are on water restrictions.
  6. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

Well I must say that at least here in my part of central South Carolina, we are doing fairly well this year. We have been in a drought for going on 4 years now, but this year has been a lot better than in the past. We are only running a deficit of a few inches so far and were in a surplus in May. However, July and August are just getting here so those are usually our dry months.
  7. Now after a couple of weeks with only 1/2" of rain, a couple of lawns are about to go dormant! If they do, they may not revive until September!

I can't really complain. Most lawns I've mowed 15 times since the first of April. ;)

Maybe if mowing slows down I'll get the shrubs done on schedule for once.:rolleyes:

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Here's one of my lawns from today and our local reservoir
  9. Lawn-Scapes

10. Lawn-Scapes