Getting Estimate Requests, Not Getting the JOB!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cclc1021, Mar 20, 2006.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Hello all. I am located in MD. I have been getting requests from my existing customers for mulch jobs and or spring clean ups. I have also been getting requests from new clients. Unfortunately, I am providing them with estimates but not getting the job. Here are a few scenarios.

Client 1: Needs 45 yards of mulch, 10 - 11 shrubs that are about 10 feet tall trimmed, gutters cleaned (2 story house, not average though, really tall, not sure of sq ft.) and wants leaf removal as well as weeding.

Here is my estimate

Description: Leaf Removal (bagging and hauling)
    Price: $250.00

Description: Gutter Cleaning
    Price: $150.00

Description: Trim Shrubbery
    Price: $ 300.00

Description: Mulch (includes, cleaning beds, weeding, installation)
    Price: $ 2700.00

Total Investment: 3400.00 (includes, labor, material and equipment)

Is this too high???? Should I ask if they want cheap mulch or quality mulch???

Client 2: Needs 11 yards of mulch, weeding
    Prep Beds (remove weeds)
    Redefine Beds
    Install Mulch
    Total Investment: 798.00 (includes, labor, material and equipment)

Thanks for any feedback.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

price seems fair in my area. But I don't know what the rates are in your area. and if you only gave out 2 or 3 don't worry about it, still wearly
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure about your rates in that area but my bid for #1 would have been $2350.00 with everything. Bid #2 would have been $640.00. Give it a couple of days and see what happens...they could have went shopping and they are trying to see if there is anything cheaper, if not they will call you back. If you don't hear from them, follow up...maybe you'll have to give them a small discount, maybe not....communicate with them throughout the whole process and you will get more business.
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

if you get every job you go for then you are doing something wrong..
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yeah, bidding way to cheap :laugh:
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Are you useing the words "total Investment"on your estimates?Don't...bad choiceof words.
    Use "Total estimate for work requested" not
    "Total sounds like your tryin to pull something over on them by claiming they are investing in their yard work.We see it that way but they do them it is an expense not an investment.The landscaping and hardscaping yes that is an investment for them and they see it that way..but yard work and mulching they don't.Just a suggestion

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds backwards, but I bid every mulch job as if I DON'T want the job. Meaning I price them high enough to account for any crazy, unforeseen delays and problems. There's so many calls for mulch this time of year, I only want them if I stand to make good money on them.

The 45 yard job, how long you figure that'll take??
  8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I am also in Maryland, Sounds about right to me.
  9. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

cant say if your high on the pricing i would need a little more info.. what i can tell you that you should be landing close to 100% of your existing customers jobs.. of course you always get the customers that are just wondering about something and ask you because your are already their cutting, but if they are serious you should be getting just about all the jobs.. you never want another lco coming in and pricing work because if its someone like me to be honest i will always ask the customer if they are interested in a mowing price also!! Don't cut yourself short on the pricing but referrals and existing customers should be a sure thing!!! so i think you should really re check your estimates!!
  10. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Just lowball.
    If you dont,
    Hector will:laugh: