Getting fert accounts now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaclawn, Oct 18, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had any success pursuing fert accounts this time of year? I was thinkning that I could get the last app in for them(the most important one), and secure them for next season.

I have thoughts of advertising something to the effect of "beat the 2001 price increase, sign on now for next season at this season's prices". In reality, I would just bid them at next years price structure, and make them think that they are getting a deal.

Even if I don't get them for that last app this year, is it still worth it to get them signed on for next season, or aren't people thinking about that at this time of year?
  2. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

The eariler the better! I usually use Lesco fertilizer products but changed to Scotts last year and here is why. 1) The local sales rep for my region put on an educational sit down dinner for all my clients interested in a year round fertilization program (at Scotts expense). 2) Helped me educate customers and sell my year round fertlilzation package at no additional charge. 3) Sold me a years supply of fertilizer for those customers that signed up with extended dating. 4) Fertilizer purchased was the commercial grade used by golf corses & sold in plain packaging for around $4.60 per 5,000 sq ft bag! This is just a suggestion, what you choose to do is your call but it sure helped my fertilization sales add to my bottom line.
  3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have signed up 6 new accounts this week.
    Even had some success last Winter with snow on the ground.
  4. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Now is the time that the giants, TruGreen and the old Barefoot Grass sell their fert programs...Then they start it back up in Jan-Feb for the spring sales campaign. So, why not do it??? All to be gained...Good luck...
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree also, but ill bet you will find if you do it in early spring too youll get even more business. So you might want to do some now and more in spring.
  6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

jac: this is what i do ,all lawn cust. that you,i and every one on this forum have at this time of the yr. are talking turf. if there lawns are green,weed free,and thick beleve me they are bragging about there "lawn guy". target next door to them,get your lawn cust. to talk for you ,in return give them a nice kick back,and they will not stop selling for you.
    the ones that sell for you "roll out the gold carpet for them"
    the ones that are green and donot sell to for you they pay the rate.
  7. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stinger- Did you have to sell your soul to the Scotts Rep?
  8. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

No he was very helpful on his own behalf. I have ownership in a local Ace Hardware store and we sell Scotts products by the pallet there. So maybe he was just happy to increase his overall sales by picking up my landscape companys business. There is a purchase limit that determines price breaks. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets! You might want to call Scotts 800 # and talk to a local rep to see what he can do for you. Don't get me wrong I still supplement with Lesco products when needed for certain applications. But the Scotts program is very easy to sell those (not too sure) customers on without confusion.
    As long as I'ts pretty, green, and now, everyones happy.