Getting Flats :(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you have gotten flats on your mowers in your professional career? What have you done to make sure it doesn't happen again?

2. Mr. Magpie

I wanted to post a poll, but.......

How many of you have had more than one flat in your career?

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We've had a couple of flats....

Furthest axle on tandem trailer this past April
    JD front mount 72" - popped 3 of the 4 tires (bush-hogging)...over 4 yrs
    Exmark WB - Recent, maybe last week or week before

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 4 in one day before. To make sure it wont happen again???? stop cutting grass maybe.

5. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i use that green tire gunk stuff... works great... no flats in over a year.

on mowers that is...i don't use it in my trailers or trucks

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

I've heard that stuff works pretty well, never tried it myself. I read in a mower manual somewhere that it voids warranties on some machines. I can't remember exactly why, but I think it had to do with uneven weight in the tires making the ride rougher on the equipment thus causing hardship on the mower...could be wrong?

7. Mr. Magpie

So, there are no remedies for this repulsive little problem? I don't know about everyone else, but I run a dead serious (but laid back) lawn business and my efficiency doesn't drop because of a measley flat tire (maybe if a worker flips the mower into a lake, but a measly flat tire?). My operation is a train and the only thing that ought to stop it is my decision to stop it (or a torrential rainstorm of course). To me, that is completely unacceptable. It might be reality, but still unacceptable in my book.

THe money you pay for a big rider (and its accessories) ought to buy you an untouchable operation like small walk-behinds provide, no?

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the green stuff works pretty good, I only have them in my front castors, and it helps a lot, sometimes I think the green stuff is holding the tires together lol. I might try J-thomas no flat tires on the front castors when these give out.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess we have about one a month, I have spares on the trailer so my men can change them and keep going. I have the flats repaired and put back on the trailer that day, usually. Helps to run similar equipment, limits the # of different spares you have to stock (I run Scag/Ferris walk-behinds and Wright Standers)

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I just carry plugs and a small compressor that goes into the cig lighter. That solves the problem for me.