Getting forward and reverse on a hydro WB?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ronlawn, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Ronlawn

Ronlawn LawnSite Member

I have a question since I've never driven a dual hydro walk behind. I always hear that you can go from forward to reverse on most hydro units with out taking your hands off the handles. (I'm still a pistol grip man because I'm 48+ years old and the hip and knee joints hurt a little when walking, and I like being able to lean some weight on the handles). Anyway I'm told that usually the control set up is that: you are in drive when the handles are not being squeezed, and that if you squeeze them you get reverse? Is this right - like for Exmark,Scag, Ferris etc. And I'm assuming that just like ZTRs you can go forward with one wheel and reverse with the other.

I'm also told that the control handles are easier to squeeze than on belt drives, where you are pulling against the belt idler spring. I mostly use the rider, so I'm not talking about running a walk behind all day or anything, but on my belt drive my hands get pretty cramped after an hour of turning and feathering the squeeze controls.

I thought I was going to get a Country Clipper Floating deck hydro on Ebay last month but somebody got it with the Buy it Now feature before I could get there. Anyway I called Country Clipper to ask them about the unit and a guy there told me you have to shift a lever to get reverse, to which I said that would be a deal breaker for me if it required taking your hands off the controls for reverse. He then back peddled and told me to call another guy, but he never called back so I still don't know about those tech hydro units they have. Thanks, Ron

2. Fleming Lawn Services

Fleming Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I use a 48" and 52" Bob cat hydro and you are correcct, when you are not squeezing the controls you are in drive, obviously which ever handle you squeeze that is the direction you turn. But when you squeeze the handles half-way down that brings the mower to a stop(so that is how you would brake) and then when you squeeze the handles all the way down that is when you are in reverse. I love the hydro and they are very easy to run, i also am a pistol grip man because i think they are easier to use and plus that is all i've ever worked with. I have also used exmarks and the controls are the same with that as well.

3. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Ferris dual drive hydro. All you do is move the speed lever forward and go. To turn you squeeze right to go right and so forth. When you squeeze both all the way you go in reverse. A nice feature that Ferris has is a kick plate at the back of the mower. This allows you to step down on it and it will move the speed lever back to neutral so you don't have to take your hands of the controls to stop.

4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

The hydros are much easier on the hands then the belt drive units,the toro hydro is probably the easiest with the t-bar set up,no grips just a big bar, when you let go it stops-pretty easy on all parts of the body.:rolleyes:

5. Ronlawn

Ronlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, So if the mower doesn't have the kick plate to put the mower in neutral what do you have to do before you take your hands off the controls, flip up some lever to hold the grips in the stop position?

6. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Reguarding the toro as below post,nothing just let go and returns to neutral,as for hand grip hydros kinda depends on the make-exmark has neutral thumb levers that lock the levers in the neutral position.:)