Getting frustrated

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Man...I can't seem to get any good customers.

I started two new lawns this week...and a couple hours after I got home one of the people the I serviced called me up. It was the first mow so I wanted to make sure I did a good job....and I did better than a good job. I did a "way more than you paid for first job."

Long story short, she calls me on the phone and says, "I just got home from work and I see you were don't pick the dead leaves out of the rocks or anything like that?"

Do I pick the leaves out of your rock bed! Ya, that's actually what I do. I get down on my hands and knees and pick every little dead leaf out of your rock bed! Are you freaking kidding me!

Then she says, "Well...I don't trim any of the hedges or anything?"

Ya, look out your damn window! I did...all five of them!

Then she says...and I am not making this stuff up...."Well...I see where you mowed some of the yard but did you mow all of it?"

No lady....I only mowed 9/16th of it. You don't have any grass. I went over it but it is is is where grass should be but you don't have any.

She actually finished by saying, " don't do the trees and stuff while your here?"

Sure, I'll paint your damn house if you want to pay me enough but I'm not washing your car while I am out there either. Sweet Jes*s! I got off the phone and was pissed!

I honestly did such a good job with what she had that when I realized it was her on the phone...I thought she was calling to thank me, not b*tch at me because I did't plant some new palms while I was there....for free of course.

Man....are they all like this?? Seriously. I'm really starting to get frustrated. I seem to have nothing but PITA customers.
  2. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

And one more thing....just to clarify....when I trimmed her hedges I laid down a tarp to collect the she wasn't talking about anything that I had left behind...she was referring to leaves that fall off the hedges and slip down in between the cracks of her rock bed....not flower bed....but ROCK bed!!!
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just keep at it. eventually youll learn how to weed out the pitas. (no pun intended). this is my 6th year and sometimes i still dont recognize a potential pita. its like they put on this fake facade to try and get over on you.
  4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I made the decision to take my time with choosing customers. I have had 15 this year and had to leave 4 all ready. It might take me longer to grow my business but looking at the 11 amazing customers I have, I choose to be patient.Some people are just flat out crazy!
    Dont get discouraged. Two PITA's lead to one good one!
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Just keep up the good work and show up on the correct day...and learn to ignore the stupid people. :rolleyes:
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Start using a service agreement that spells out what you will do and how much they will pay you.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't do all those extras, just do what they asked you to do and nothing more.