Getting frustrated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danzig, Feb 17, 2002.

1. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Just did a tree clean up for an upper income couple. They were very impressed with my work and complimented me on my service. I inquired about providing their lawn care services after he told me how disappointed they were with their current lco. One of their biggest complaints about the lco was the sloppiness of their mowing and the poor results of their lawn program. My price was 15 bucks more per mow than what they pay now and they thought i was way overpriced. 50 dollars for 21000 sg ft of grass and big time trimming. My app program was 20 bucks higher and they wigged on that also. Some people always want more for less. Seems like quality isnt always important to some people. Anyone had a similar expirience? Are these the ultimate price shoppers?

2. And you thought this was easy money.;)

3. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

I operate in Western Kansas and it is sometimes difficult for me to understand how people think. It seems that you have two types of clients in this business --ones that appreciate your work and ones that don't appreciate anything. I have found that the most difficult customers are the ones that are very very tight, and actually want something for free. For some reason the toughest customers in business are those that have no intentions on paying for what they get. I learned my lesson years ago when a very well to do lady-- kept calling my wife instead of me to come mow her lawn- in which I always did and In which she mysteriously always disappeared and would hide in her house, and never send a payment. I had another couple that I mowed weekly every thursday, they would then call me almost every other saturday to plant trees, or some other type of landscaping-- also wanting all this for free- I guess the price for knowing them. Again they were very well to do.---- And on the opposite extreme I had many many hard working or retired people that loved my work and wanted to tip- majority of them actually told me I was way to low or would want to tip me each time. I found out in the long run there is a reason why many people become wealthy- and with it a strive to degrade people working for them or to get something for nothing. I have learned that I don't need these customers and the bottom line is that they will get what they want to pay- I only feel sorry for the young man starting out that has to learn this the hard way. It is that way in any business- I have many friends that were waitresses and they also say the person that bossess them around the most in the no tipper. My best advice is let some else have the cheapskates and the complainers as the world is filled with better people to work for. I go to work and do my best for them- that is all I can do. Hopefully you can choose your work- as it sound like these people don't care anything for quality at all. Sometimes not working for some people is much better as you could be working for a client that appreciates your work during that time instead .

4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

But Mike it really is, once you have learned to spot a tighta$$ @ 100 yards:p ~NaTe

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Danzig, I'm curious what your response was to them when they 'wigged'.

6. Right ~NaTe

People that have money don't always want to spend it.

People that live in expensive houses don't alsway have the money to spend.

Morons that think you cut the gras for a price and the rest is free, ^%$#*^%(&^$*&)*&)

7. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Mike, isnt it amazing how somebody that only makes 12k a year(min wage) and lives in a mobile home can afford $15 a cut for those small 3-4msqft lots yet a person with a 1/4 mil home and 25msqft cant afford a $50.00 a cut, go figure.~NaTe

PS, I make more $$ per hour cutting trailer lots then large properties

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I usually tell them right then that the other guy probably doesn't run a legit biz or didn't know his cost before he started the job. Once he found out that he wasn't making anything off the lawn, he had to get done with it as soon as possible.

If they don't like that explaniation, they can keep the same guy. I don't need them.

9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

they probably felt they were paying to much to begin with.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did they Pay You For The work You did:confused: .
    Johnny G. Oh Hello Lawngodfather:D