1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Geese to Leave Permantly?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tim Wright, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know what to do to get geese to permantly leave a property, in a friendly way that is?

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Great! I will look into this.

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco makes a product that will deture them .Check with your local dealer
  5. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

the product lesco works pretty good, never used it, talked to a few that have. it is something you have to spray on the turf, not sure how costly it is. It is something you have to spray every few mowings as well if i remember right. it leaves a bad taste in the birds mouth, kinda like heartburn. it also has some kind of thing it that only geese or maybe all birds see, but they remember it so they wont go back to that area if they see it.
  6. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I rep a product for one of my networking partners from Sepro. It is about (3 times) the cost of a normal lawn application. It goes down (3) times per year - minimum, and has it's greatest affect when applied just prior to the mowing season starting. As in....right now. The product gives the geese indigestion "squirts" and conditions them to the fact that this particular lawn tastes like bad Taco Bell. Once they digest the product and pass it through their digestive track, the waste appears to have sparkles in it, due to the UV rays in the product. The geese see the sparkles in the waste and become conditioned to the terrible affects of eating from the lawn. Keep in mind that geese have more "cones" in their eyes and can see the UV rays, which we cannot. This is not a full-proof method, as they may stick around the property if someone else is feeding them nearby. The desired effect is to have them jump ponds before they start to nest. Once a canadian goose hatches, it returns annually to that very location.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Fishing line strung about 6" high across a lawn wil drive them crazy. They'll avoid the area.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Remington and Winchester make a great product as well :laugh:

BRAD'S LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

Were do you leave i will kill them for you! Kill them that's how you get rid of them!!!
  10. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

They have a thing about feeding them at wildwood>my wife go a ticket while on vacation for feeding the stupid things. i like a good ol'45 quick and easy!!!:rolleyes: