1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Grass into Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shua789, Apr 24, 2009.

1. shua789

shua789 LawnSite Member

Whats the best way to get grass into a dump trailer. Truck loaders work great for leaves but are too slow for grass and having to lift it up over the side of the trailer all day long gets tiring. Any other ideas?

2. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

Pitch fork for the beggining, and a broom and shovel for when you get to the end.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

4. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop bagging and mulch mow, less work, problem solved.

5. redfox033

redfox033 LawnSite Member

betmr; is right. Mulch and go, bagging sucks and you never make enough off the yards anyway. I don't bag and if they want it bagged I tell them I can mulch or they can find someone else.

6. thompsonslawncare

thompsonslawncare LawnSite Member

redfox...you must have alot of custermers just to throw away some because they want it bagged.i mean hell a bagger for my mower is 300 bucks if a custermer wants their lawn bagged you just add a little to the price

7. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about the throwing away I have very few customers that even asked to be bagged to begin with. Plus if they do ask I can talk most of them into mulching it.

8. redfox033

redfox033 LawnSite Member

I don't have customers just to through away, I just tell them I can mulch it and most say thats fine. I have had a few that just had to have their yard bagged and I told them thats fine they will have to find someone else. I don't waste my time with bagging. I have a full time job and mow part time. I can pick what I want to do and bagging is not something that I would waste my time on.

9. mwh350

mwh350 LawnSite Member

Where I am at most customers demand that the lawn be bagged. I use a 60" lazer Z with a triple bagger. I haul it on a 12 foot trailer with my 21 inch trim mower, and I use my pickup to dump the grass in. I use a Loadhandler in the pickup, and It seems to work out really well for me. I don't spend to much time on the emptying bags, and I take the grass back to my house and compost it so no disposal fee. When the compost is done I plan on Top dressing and charging them to take it back. When life gives you lemons make lemonade. I would really like to have a yard debris shuttle bin. It would be awesome for my setup, but how does one justify the expenditure when lifting it over the side works just fine, and I pocket more of the proceeds. I actually saw someone mention this on this site. They cost about 4,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-LNCjFChs
    http://www.ibbzinc.com/IBBZproduct_bins_working.html

10. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

+1.....I don't bag....ever. If I did, I'd charge double for the yard plus a dump fee if they didn't have a commercial dumpster on site. It'll take me twice as long to bag, empty, and dispose of the clippings. Also, customers who insist on bagging are generally a pita.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009