Getting Grass Off The Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarcM, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MarcM

MarcM LawnSite Member

How do you guys remove the clipping off your trailer? We don't have a dump bed and looking for a faster way to remove the clippings. We do a lot of bagging on our higher end well manicured properties. Thanks for your input. Marc:weightlifter:

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

What I did with my trailer was made a door in the wood going around the front. The door is about 3ft. wide on the passenger side. I put a couple hinges on and a latch with a clip. Now I can just pull up next to the pile and open the door and push it out. It is way quicker than pulling all the mowers off and then getting the grass off. Or those load handlers that 2stroke mentioned work nicely.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Depending upon the situations, I use one of two forks. I have a 4-tined pitchfork (long handle), and a 12-tined silage fork (D-handle). If loose, the silage fork works, but if tight and/or heavy, the 4-tined pitchfork works.

Nobody said forking was easy, but you can move a few couple of cu yds of clippings in 20 minutes or so. I too wish I had a dump, and have tried to work with LoadHandler for the trailer, but am still pitching with the forks. However, I don't have much to work with, perhaps 60-65 loads per season.

5. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i used to use a hay fork but now i bought a ez dumper

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Many guys just lay tarps down. Wha i mean by the plural, is that depending on how much material you are hauling, they do it in layers. They get so much on a tarp, then just somewhat level it, and lay another tarp down and start again, and so forth. This way, all they have to do is grab the corners of each tarp, and roll it off the side. Just don't overload each tarp...tarps are cheap. this is fast and easy. Use adequate sized tarps so that you leave yourself enough out to grab the corners, and preferably to come up on the side of the trailer on the side your are dumping on, so it doesn't slide out or lose much when pulling out.

7. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 LawnSite Senior Member

load handler is the way to go ,it use to take me around 20 minutes of hard work for 8foot bed fully loaded ,load handler 1.5minutes and it only cost around 60 $ a lot cheaper than a dump insert

8. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

I get my wife to help(keeps her in shape,LOL) Got to go before she reads this and kicks my arse.

9. pbelmonte1

pbelmonte1 LawnSite Member

I use the load handler as well. it saves a lot of time.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Several posts have stated "use a Loadhandler," but don't say anything about the hauling vehicle. Is anybody using a Loadhandler on a trailer? If so, how is it attached?

I use a 5X10 trailer, wooden floor. I have not found anybody using a Loadhandler on a trailer, but would be interested in hearing and seeing how it is configured.